Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

max rpm?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2004, 02:35 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default max rpm?

what redline should be used for an ls1 with an '02 zo6 cam/springs/stock retainers and molly pushrods?

thanks in advance...
Old 09-04-2004, 03:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

You mean shift points or rev limiter?
Shift points should be determined according to your power band, this will be determined by trial and error, ie.. you want to keep the maximum power between shifts. First dyno to actually see you powerband, that will give a base and the rest is during actual testing. Your rev limiter should be minimum 200rpm higher than your highest shift point.
As a base you can set it at 6800 and then decrease accordingly after dyno.
I think it will be in the 6600 range IMO.
Old 09-04-2004, 04:49 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
You mean shift points or rev limiter?
Shift points should be determined according to your power band, this will be determined by trial and error, ie.. you want to keep the maximum power between shifts. First dyno to actually see you powerband, that will give a base and the rest is during actual testing. Your rev limiter should be minimum 200rpm higher than your highest shift point.
As a base you can set it at 6800 and then decrease accordingly after dyno.
I think it will be in the 6600 range IMO.
Old 09-04-2004, 11:50 AM
Teching In

thanks for the input. i am thinking about changing the shift points to 6500-6600 rpm and do know to raise the rev limiter to +200, but am a little concerned about valve float with the heavier ls1 valvetrain at those rpms. i'd happily trade a bit of rpm for no float. as that i don't have the editing software and it costs me money each time i make changes to the pcm, i am trying to make an educated guess to get the most out of an ls6 cam, but not by overtaxing the ls6 valvesprings.
Old 09-04-2004, 02:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I wouldn't worry about the springs much, did you allready buy them?
If not go with 918's.
And BTW, you are aware that LS6 cams have smaller centerlines and require a taller push rod right. Otherwise your preload will be too loose and it will click click a lot not to mention that would increase chances of valve float at high rpms.
Old 09-05-2004, 01:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
I wouldn't worry about the springs much, did you allready buy them?
If not go with 918's.
And BTW, you are aware that LS6 cams have smaller centerlines and require a taller push rod right. Otherwise your preload will be too loose and it will click click a lot not to mention that would increase chances of valve float at high rpms.

the springs came with the cam (4k miles on both). as for the pushrods, i am getting a set of TR 7.4's, which, according to this thread, https://ls1tech.com/forums//showthread.php?t=75028 , would seem to work pretty well due to the fact that they are actually longer than 7.4" long.

thanks for the input.