Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

arp head stud procedure

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2004, 01:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default arp head stud procedure

hello, i am in the process of putting together my motor..i am going to install my heads with my arp studs here in a little while..problem is i dont have any instructions on what toruqe to install them to..i searched and searched and no one gave the same answers twice so now i am really confused.. i dont know if its the same as the tty bolts or not..No one seemed to agree on what to torque them to..i need the specs on the big and small bolts.. i assume you torque them in the same sequence you would the regular bolts? also, i bought the shortblock used and the studs were already in the block..so yes they are extrememly tight from being torqued dowm already..should i loosen them all up to "hand tight" before reinstallation or should i just stick the nuts on and go..Also heard i will have to retorqe them after the car is hot..is this true? this will be a pain considering i will have to take the coil packs and stuff loose...a couple of more quick quesitons..will oreilly's have some good moly lube for the nuts or should i just use oil? Also i am planning on useing some copper spray on my cometics..good choice or no? Sorry so many questions..
thanks in advance
matt
Old 09-05-2004, 04:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To start, the studs shouldn't be torqued into the block. So yes, loosen them up and only hand tighten them into the block. I use a little oil on the block side. I would try to find ARP's moly lube for the other side because that's what they recommend for the studs. Next I would only use the GM gaskets IMO and no extra goo or silicone or spray. As for torque use the standard sequence as the bolts. I did three passes 30ft-lbs, then 50 then 70 and then 22ft-lbs for the smaller bolts. I haven't re-torqued them since the install and all is well.
Old 09-05-2004, 04:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by technical
To start, the studs shouldn't be torqued into the block. So yes, loosen them up and only hand tighten them into the block. I use a little oil on the block side. I would try to find ARP's moly lube for the other side because that's what they recommend for the studs. Next I would only use the GM gaskets IMO and no extra goo or silicone or spray. As for torque use the standard sequence as the bolts. I did three passes 30ft-lbs, then 50 then 70 and then 22ft-lbs for the smaller bolts. I haven't re-torqued them since the install and all is well.
well, i am stuck on the cometics due to the nitrous...i have heard they sometimes leak but i have had my heads refreshed and the block surface is perfect so i hope they will seal,only thing i worry about is i have heard there are issues with 98 heads sealing sometimes,(its a 02 shortblock)..thats why i got the copper spray a gasket....hope it will work..going to start on it in about an hour..
Old 09-05-2004, 06:26 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Technical's process is real close to mine and the ARP instrucions say 65ftlb but I tourqed mine to 70ftlbs like most and the top ones to 25ftlb that is what MTI told me they were doing so just wanted to give you my personal specs any way.
Old 09-05-2004, 07:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

I used a small amount of loctite on my studs. They kept coming loose when I did my retorque.

And I retorqued my setup 3 seperate times to 30/50/70 on the large nuts and 15/30 on the small ...

I used Cometics ...
Old 09-05-2004, 07:59 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Sounds good to me. Good luck!!
Old 09-05-2004, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks guys, i didnt have any instructions as they were already installed in the block..thanks again
matt
Old 09-05-2004, 09:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my studs brand new and they didn't come with instructions...or moly lube. You'd think for $250 they'd hook ya up a bit.
Old 09-05-2004, 11:42 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

I think they quit putting them in there because they were to generic. They just told you to tourque them down to 65ftlbs, but did not tell you that the smaller ones only get @25ftlbs. So a lot of people were complaining about striping the smaller studs etc...