Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 firebird modifications

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2004, 06:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

Question 98 firebird modifications

i was wondering what the best performance upgrades would be for a 98 firebird 3.8 V6 5 speed. I have been searching around and everyone claims to be the best, and its hard to tell which to go with. there is also not that much on the market for v6 firebird/camaros any ideas? anything but forced induction (supercharger-turbo-nitrous)
Old 09-05-2004, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunatley, there isn't much as far as bolt-ons go for the newer V6 F-Bodys, especially since you don't want FI or nitrous. Honestly if I were you, I would just concentrate on suspension and make it ride really nice, since there isn't much hope of making a super fast V6 F-Body. Not to say it's not possible, but without FI or nitrous it will be tough
Old 09-05-2004, 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go check out firebirdv6.com. There are some heads/cam cars getting decent times.

Intenseracing and zzperformance are two big names in the v6 arena.

Lack of a tuning package was the holdup for a long time.

Hptuners has tuning software now.

CIA and Pacesetter have headers.

3.42 or 3.73 gears, and lsd if you don't have it already.

(I did run a 13.2 with nitrous and a 13.6 with a blower on my '98 3.8...)
Old 09-06-2004, 10:48 AM
11 Second Club

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

has anyone happened to hear if the hypertech programmer for the v6 models give any type of horsepower gains? i've heard it does close to nothing as far as that goes, so your paying for the rev limiter etc. also i was looking to some new wheel and tires. i was wondering how big i can go on a 98 firebird withought modification. thanks
Old 09-06-2004, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's no hypertech for the '98 year. There might have been one prototype if I remember right, for a guy in Memphis, but that year never made it to production....

If you're asking about changing tire diameter, it messes with shift points if you have an automatic, but you said you have a manual transmission, so that should be ok. Speedo will be off. You might want some different gears to keep the acceleration the same.