Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

A few runs with a honda 954

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 03:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few runs with a honda 954

A few runs with a honda 954

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First let me start by saying that i usually race from a 30 mph and a 60 mph roll. This bike is defintley faster and quicker than me from bothh of these rolls. BUT we had a few runs from differnet speeds different gears and here are the results.

1st run from 30 mph roll.... results everyone knows what shouldve happened... and it did happen... major spanking

2nd run from a 105 mph in fourth gear while he was in third gear... i pulled him by about a car when he came behind me and started following the vacum i leave which is a big advantage and he just stayed behimd me the whole time until we slowed down.

3rd run from 80 mph. we were side by side the whole time but i was on the longer side of a curvey road.

The guy was defintley a good rider... not the best but not some stupid *** that doesnt konw how to ride. i think the resuls are fair and reflect the true speed ranges of each beast. a bike doesnt like a race from 75+ mph and i dont want to even try racing it from a lower speed becuase itll just murder me. It also proves something i said a few times before in a differnet post. Bikes hit a wall when at higher speeds. I think i should get some nitrous and try racing him from 50 mph.

I have a 2002 Z06 with long tube headers and intake... rich like a **** and needs some tunning.
Old 09-06-2004, 05:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice runs.
But , take it from someone that has a bike that can top 180 mph. There is nothing wrong with running from a 75+ roll. That would be 2nd gear for my R1.
This wall you are talking about must be for the smaller bikes,because the liter bikes just go like hell from almost any mph,period.
This is my experience and my opinion, no offense taken if you disagree,it's all good.
I have run a 929RR with my SS on the bottle, i pulled him 3 times from 85 to 140. He was truly surprised to say the least. Bikes can definatly lose,no question,but it takes a ton of power from a car to make it happen. Unless the rider is just not up to the task.

But again,nice kill,and death.
Dave
Old 09-06-2004, 10:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by redsscamaroboy
Nice runs.
But , take it from someone that has a bike that can top 180 mph. There is nothing wrong with running from a 75+ roll. That would be 2nd gear for my R1.
This wall you are talking about must be for the smaller bikes,because the liter bikes just go like hell from almost any mph,period.
This is my experience and my opinion, no offense taken if you disagree,it's all good.
I have run a 929RR with my SS on the bottle, i pulled him 3 times from 85 to 140. He was truly surprised to say the least. Bikes can definatly lose,no question,but it takes a ton of power from a car to make it happen. Unless the rider is just not up to the task.

But again,nice kill,and death.
Dave
I agree Nice runs
Old 09-06-2004, 11:22 PM
Teching In

nice!
Old 09-07-2004, 01:46 AM
Staging Lane

redss let me ask you this.

What do you trap in the quarter and how much do you think you could pull by the end of a mile. that should be enough to show you that there is a barrier. even for a liter bike.
Old 09-07-2004, 07:10 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2002Z06yellow
redss let me ask you this.

What do you trap in the quarter and how much do you think you could pull by the end of a mile. that should be enough to show you that there is a barrier. even for a liter bike.
Sorry man,you kinda lost me . The bike traps 136 in the 1/4 and can run to its limits in a mile,I think,but have never tried personally. I think it is rated at 186 mph, i just have never took it that far. Kind of gets a little sketchy at those speeds, you can not really see much of anything unless it is directly in front of you . I have seen 181 with just a roll on in 6th gear.
My point is only that ,i don't see the disadvantage for the bike on a highway roll. But,not all bikes are created equal. The 954 and the R1 are somewhat close for power and speed though.
The really cool part is we don't have to agree,and it's all good.
Don't get me wrong,i am not giving you a hard time, just letting you know my opinion about bikes and highway runs.
Dave
Old 09-07-2004, 07:27 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by redsscamaroboy
Sorry man,you kinda lost me . The bike traps 136 in the 1/4 and can run to its limits in a mile,I think,but have never tried personally. I think it is rated at 186 mph, i just have never took it that far. Kind of gets a little sketchy at those speeds, you can not really see much of anything unless it is directly in front of you . I have seen 181 with just a roll on in 6th gear.
My point is only that ,i don't see the disadvantage for the bike on a highway roll. But,not all bikes are created equal. The 954 and the R1 are somewhat close for power and speed though.
The really cool part is we don't have to agree,and it's all good.
Don't get me wrong,i am not giving you a hard time, just letting you know my opinion about bikes and highway runs.
Dave
...and that folks is how you voice your opinion on the 'net. That's my boy right there.

I've personally never owned a crotch rocket, but I've ridden many of them. I got my first bike when I was 4yo (Suzuki 50 ) so I'm no slouch. Anyway, I've run many powerful cars on my buddy's modded 929RR and it destroyed them all from any speed. It walked past my nitrous'd LS1 as if I threw out an anchor. Granted, my LS1 only trapped 121mph. My 2cents.

We all know that anything can (and does) happen on the street so kudos for knocking off a nice bike!
Old 09-07-2004, 07:42 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by unit213
...and that folks is how you voice your opinion on the 'net. That's my boy right there.

I've personally never owned a crotch rocket, but I've ridden many of them. I got my first bike when I was 4yo (Suzuki 50 ) so I'm no slouch. Anyway, I've run many powerful cars on my buddy's modded 929RR and it destroyed them all from any speed. It walked past my nitrous'd LS1 as if I threw out an anchor. Granted, my LS1 only trapped 121mph. My 2cents.

We all know that anything can (and does) happen on the street so kudos for knocking off a nice bike!
And you called ME an adrenaline junkie........
LOL.
Dave
Old 09-07-2004, 11:07 PM
Staging Lane

I had a bike once too... the wall does exist my friends.. and that is becuse of aerodynamics... bikes create a lot of drag for the power they put. I need to get a camera and start recording some of this so that you guys can understand. I appreciate the civilized manner you state ur opinions in
Old 09-07-2004, 11:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'd have to agree with Z06 here. Think about it, what kinda 0-60 does a bike have? about 2.5 or so. now a C5? about 4.5. average bike tops out around 175-180, C5? about 175, right? top end they are dead even. so a Z06, even with it's steeper gearing, probably could pull a 954 top end, especially considering they haven't made 954s in a few years, so i'd say the bike probaly loses more % of its power per year due to the high rpm turned. so the vette probably has 400ish rwhp, i'd guess, probably 30-40 over stock, with a stock bike, i wouldn't doubt it'd pull a bike top end. or look at a lingenfelter TT vette- 0-60 same time as a bike about, but it's top end it close to 60mph faster. also my $0.02, of course i'm just a 17 year old kid who drives a non ls1 86 pickup truck.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

I know that a lot of these cars are quick but I have a gixer 1000 and I have seen 186mph ( the bike is governed) and I would have to see a car take me from a roll to believe it. If we were at a track I know there are plenty of cars that can leave better than bikes but from a roll even if most cars get the jump it's not hard to reel them in. All in all nice kill.
Old 09-08-2004, 02:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

nice runs man