Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

valves sizes and ported heads

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 06:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default valves sizes and ported heads

how much more power will a ported head with 2.02/1.60 and bigger valves (2.05, 2.08) make over a stock ported head with a 2 inch valve and 1.60 ex.with the same set up cam & intake Etc. Alot of old school hot rodders that I know have said you wont benefit from a 2.02 or bigger valve unless you are spinning over 6500 rpm's.Someone explain this theory about the valves.
Old 09-06-2004, 08:59 PM
On The Tree

I will tend to agree with not going over a 2.02 valve unless a large engine with an excellent port job or high rpm and excellent port job. When I went to porting mine and some friends I did not see spending the additional cash for valves for 20 or less cfm on the street but then again if you are buying 1300 buck plus heads whats another couple of hundred for valves. I really do not think on the street you will see the diff between a 29x head and a 31x head. I guess its were you want to spend your money, after all you have to live with your choices after everything is said and done. But you also have to remember that my friends and I are cheap asses so that is another reason we kept with the production valves and home porting.
Old 09-07-2004, 01:24 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Hysteria
I will tend to agree with not going over a 2.02 valve unless a large engine with an excellent port job or high rpm and excellent port job. When I went to porting mine and some friends I did not see spending the additional cash for valves for 20 or less cfm on the street but then again if you are buying 1300 buck plus heads whats another couple of hundred for valves. I really do not think on the street you will see the diff between a 29x head and a 31x head. I guess its were you want to spend your money, after all you have to live with your choices after everything is said and done. But you also have to remember that my friends and I are cheap asses so that is another reason we kept with the production valves and home porting.
How does your car run with your home ported heads? Are you running stock valves?
Old 09-07-2004, 01:56 PM
On The Tree

It runs 12.1x's at 113. Production valves are all I run, 2.00/1.55. The exhaust valves are truck 5.3 because they flow slightly better for some reason, they have a better tulip shape to them. I will be posting pictures on another thread in here this afternoon.