Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clearence question?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 06:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clearence question?

I currently in the process of getting ready to do the heads cam thing to my 99 ss. The question i have is that i am going to be running the t-rex cam with with either a patroit stage two heads or afr's a standard thickness orignal replacment headgasket and 1.7 rockers. I want to know if i am going to encounter any piston slap with this set up? And if i am going to should i run a milder cam like tsp 231/237? . This car will be primarly run at lacr in kinda high altitude track. And i want to up grade my rockers to something that will handle the high rpms the car will be running...any suggestions on what i should run. Thanks in advance i want be able to make car pull tire before i get married and don't have the money to do it again
Old 09-06-2004, 07:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

umm...well clearence will depend on whether you mill the heads. if you mill them at all...then you're not going to fit. period. you're gonna have to ask Predator-Z or jrp or some of the afr 'guys' about clearance issues with afr heads, cuz thats not something i'm well read up on. also, the bigger valves are a concern when doing a cam as large as the t-rex i think...not sure tho. Whoever you get your heads from, you're going to have to talk to them about cam choices. They should be able to tell you what will and will not fit. Since you have a '99, pretty much any rocker arm will do. You don't have to replace them. You can if you want. Nasty Performance and Harland Sharp are workin together to come up with a variant of the stock rocker arms, that will eliminate spilt needle bearings. Something to look into, here.