Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Really bad swirls...thanks to the body shop.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 07:19 PM
BADA BING BADA BOOM!!!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Really bad swirls...thanks to the body shop.

Well I got the car back last week after my wreck in July and now it has swirls everywhere even the original paint is fucked. I have a PC 2424 DA Polisher and pads from Proper Auto Care and the complete Black Fire kit.

Will this be enough to remove them from the paint completely or am I fucked?

It looks like the body shop detailer used the leading edge of the pad to cut through the overspray as if he was grinding bondo.

That's why body men should NOT be detailers!

They said that they need to use an orbital on the car but I know that it will just hide the swirls and not remove them.

Thanks.
Old 09-06-2004, 07:30 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn, I wish you were closed to NY. I would love to help you out. You need a rotary, and a good one, a Makita is what I got. There are a few good pads out there, but the Maguires cutting pad works well with Mendoza polishes or 3m make a few good swirl removers. It is a 2-4 step process, the porter cable is ok for the last 1-2 steps. It just cant generate enough heat to break down the cutting compound you will need. Also, it is imposible to determine the extense of damage before I see it. I brought back some paint from the dead though..lol. good luck, peace, victor
Old 09-06-2004, 09:22 PM
10 Second Club

Can you post some pics of how bad? With the Menzerna Polishes and the 7424 you can remove some pretty bad swirls. They worked for me great.
Old 09-06-2004, 09:25 PM
TECH Addict

I would suggest Menzerna IP with a yellow cutting pad with the PC on 6. It may take a few passes to get it right, but take your time and be patient. When the swirls are gone, I would use Menzerna FPII with a white polishing pad with the PC on 5. Finish up with your Blackfire or whatever you'd like to put on it, and it will look SICK.

Go check out Autopia for all things detailing. www.autopia.org/forums
Old 09-06-2004, 10:02 PM

Thanks. The car looks good in the shade but in the bright sun

I'll try to post some pics, we didn't have much sun here with Hurricane Douschebag A.K.A. Frances hanging around.

It looks like someone used an 80 grit sanding disc on the car. It just sucks to have all of my hardwork of keeping the car looking new for over six years and 93K miles get destroyed by someone who doesn't take pride in their work.

****...I didn't even let the dealer wash the car when it came off the transporter back in 98

I'm going back tomorrow just to show them what they did to the paint but they're not fixing it!

Looks like I have a full weekend worth of detailing ahead of me.
Old 09-06-2004, 10:40 PM
Staging Lane

Go give the owner an earfull Richie. Its a shame that body shops across america do that **** to well kept paint..
Old 09-06-2004, 11:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

beat some *** period. no reason for that kind of output from a body shop
Old 09-07-2004, 07:42 AM
Chop-Foo Director

It's amazing that the people at a dealership who "detail" cars, are probably some of the least trained individuals that work there.
Old 09-07-2004, 12:50 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would consider the Menzerna Power Gloss as well...it has twice the cutting power of the Intensive, yet is supposed to clean up very nicely. It is next on my list to try...I have some stubborn swirls on my hood that come back after about 3 months (I use Menzerna Intensive, Final Polishes, Menzerna Glaze, Blackfire, P21S on top), and I'd like to get rid of them completely. I'm not a huge fan of using full rotary machines, so I'm gonna stick with my PC 7424. Eventually, they'll be gone, it'll just take a while.
Old 09-07-2004, 01:21 PM
Teching In

Here is a freinds Black Grand Prix GT. The swirls were pretty bad. I removed them using 1Z Paint Polish and 1Z Metallic Polish. I like these better than Menzerna IP and FP2. These polishes can be worked for ever!! They dont haze over. Just work them until you think the paint is polished enough.
Here are a few pictures. Oh I also use Sonus DAP Kit.
This fender took me about 20 minutes to polish. There is NO wax or selant on it. Just polished paint.

Last edited by jonw440; 10-08-2005 at 08:33 AM.
Old 09-07-2004, 03:45 PM

Thanks for the responses. I went by there today and they were closed due to the storm. I'll go by again tomorrow.

I buffed the freshly painted drivers door and rear 1/4 with blackfire polish and a yellow pad. With 2 quick passes it looks better but I may need something with more of a cut to it. I'll give the Mezerna IP and Mezerna Final Polish and see what happens.
Old 09-07-2004, 03:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Richie Carbone
I'll give the Mezerna IP and Mezerna Final Polish and see what happens.
I don't think you will be disappointed.
Old 09-07-2004, 04:49 PM
TECH Addict

Thumbs up That Sucks!!!!

Sorry to hear about your ride Rich!!! That sucks!! See if you can have them buy the products to repair the paint, BUT you do yourself. Just an idea. I think it's the least those asses can do. I mean, seriously, if you see a nice looking car,(well-kept) come into the shop, wouldn't you think that man, this dude loves his car. Maybe we should an awesome job on it. Stuff like that PISSES me off!!! Again, sorry man. Hope all works out well for you!!!
Old 09-07-2004, 05:14 PM

Thanks. The best part is that I told them to be careful when buffing the car due to it being black and very hard to get right. I also told them that I show the car and need the paint to be swirl free like it was before the wreck.

When I go back tomorrow I'm going to rip the detailers head off!
Old 09-07-2004, 05:42 PM
...with cheese.

rip him a new one dude... some tardo tow truck driver fkd up my quarter panel... bubba and son did a real crap *** job on the paint to boot... i wasn't a happy camper
Old 09-14-2004, 02:21 PM
Launching!

Welcome to my freaking world. I have bought my car a year ago and a dang guy here at work actually backed into me and screwed my front end. Replaced alot of parts and messed up with the alignment of my whole front. Decided to go to the dealership to get everything fixed under insurance of course. Paid them to repaint the whole car since they were at it. Now my hood, bumper and fender doesn't even line up the dealership tells me they cannot do any better !!! Paint has some drips, imperfections like dots and what seems like ruffness and overspray to the paint in small areas. Plus they buffed it to remove some of this imperfection and they did an half *** job at this too since they missed a whole lot of them and they swirlled the finish real bad. At this point I am not sure what to do.... dealerships sucks !!!! I wished I known how to operate a polisher... OH yeah and if you ever go in Ottawa don't go at Belisle cause they suck *** !!!

Last edited by Fishv12; 09-14-2004 at 02:34 PM.
Old 09-14-2004, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

if you use PG w/a pc you will make you finish worse, trust me ive seen it done. any how i think the IP should remove those swirls or holograms so good luck, if you can post pics so we can see what your talking about.
Old 09-18-2004, 10:13 PM

Well I tried the Mezerna IP and Final polish with the PC and it did nothing to improve the finish at all even with the PC set on 6.

I'll post up some pics tomorrow.

I think the clear coat was burned beyond repair and the car will have to be repainted.

I'm bringing the car back on Wed. to let the other detailer take a shot at one of the panels, if he can't fix it the owner will be paying for a new paint job to be done at another shop.
Old 09-19-2004, 09:49 AM
TECH Addict

What pad were you using?
Old 09-19-2004, 10:06 AM

I used the yellow pad with the IP and the white pad with the Final Polish.