Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Killed an M3 tonight...

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 10:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs down Killed an M3 tonight...

Ok, so I was coming home from the mall earlier when I see this new black M3 dart out off a side road and through 3 lanes of traffic...Obviously this is not your average 45 year old father of two. I was in the mood to play, so after a bit of chasing he finally caught a light and I pulled up behind him. He had some bling-bling wheels, nice stainless exhaust, adjustable wing, etc. One of those I couldn't decide whether to classify as rice or not, but it did look pretty nice. The light changed, and he took off. I gave him about half a car at the start, cuz I didn't wanna be running him over . About 35-40 I was startin to pull on him, so I swapped lanes and realized the typical rice-boy 4-door Accord that was next to him at the light was still trying to race him. Anyway, out in front of the Accord, the M3 still had a few feet on me at this point. I kept pullin on him til my door was just past even with his and shut it down, not wanting to risk an even bigger ticket when I was obviously pulling him pretty hard. We both cooled down back to 45ish or so, I rolled down my window to throw him some compliments, and what do I get? A thumbs down from his now-smiling passenger. So...I give him a car and a half, swap lanes, pull in front, and....Somehow lose? If there was ever any doubt about his car being rice, there sure as hell isn't any about him and his buddy having the rice mentality. Oh well, I guess a kill is a kill, even if I'm the only one that noticed...

BTW my car is a 99 Non-WS6 TA with only 3.23's, lid, Borla, HPP3, and free mods...M3's are nice cars, but they aren't all that fast.

-Jay
Old 09-06-2004, 10:29 PM
Teching In

Default Oh, something I forgot to add...

I guess there's more truth to that old joke than I realized before...

What's the difference between a porcupine and a BMW?
The porcupine has the ****** on the OUTSIDE.

Old 09-06-2004, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Onebad99TA
I guess there's more truth to that old joke than I realized before...

What's the difference between a porcupine and a BMW?
The porcupine has the ****** on the OUTSIDE.

Guess that answers our question about the M3 in the stock Ls1 thread in the other section.

Good kill!

-Todd
Old 09-06-2004, 11:45 PM

BMW's are well made cars, but I just don't like the crowd that's into em'. They get off on some of the dumbest things. Stuff that we do in our sleep, like a cam swap, intake lid are a super big deal to them. If you go to their shows, you'll see alot of people standing around getting their rocks off on stupid ****.
3 series are for failed businessmen or wannabe's anyway.
Old 09-07-2004, 07:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

The new model M3's (02+) are nothing to take for granite, they hang with the Z06. When I was in Germany, I went to Hockenhiem raceway and there were many M3's there, just handing porsches and base vettes their asses. I was very impressed for those having a N/A 6 cyl motor.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:29 AM
STF Veteran

Good kill on the krauttard.
Old 09-07-2004, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sawedoff
BMW's are well made cars, but I just don't like the crowd that's into em'. They get off on some of the dumbest things. Stuff that we do in our sleep, like a cam swap, intake lid are a super big deal to them. If you go to their shows, you'll see alot of people standing around getting their rocks off on stupid ****.
3 series are for failed businessmen or wannabe's anyway.
They are WAY to expensive for me. I went to look at a 330 for a daily driver and the sticker said 45,000

Sounds to me if you can buy one, you are doing pretty well off for yourself.

-Todd
Old 09-07-2004, 11:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 02transhawk
The new model M3's (02+) are nothing to take for granite, they hang with the Z06.
CSL maybe? A base M3 does not.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

M3's do NOT hang with Z06's. Hell, just look at what GMHTP got. Freakin 11 9 at 118?!?!

If you are talking on the race track, then it will hang for a little, then its 4000 lbs of weight, 100 horse disadvantage, and worse brakes/tires will come into play.

Stock for stock very little can hang with a Z06 anywhere (Except for like a rally or in harsh weather)

-Todd
Old 09-07-2004, 03:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Gloveperson
M3's do NOT hang with Z06's. Hell, just look at what GMHTP got. Freakin 11 9 at 118?!?!

If you are talking on the race track, then it will hang for a little, then its 4000 lbs of weight, 100 horse disadvantage, and worse brakes/tires will come into play.

Stock for stock very little can hang with a Z06 anywhere (Except for like a rally or in harsh weather)

-Todd
I dont know where you get your info but M3's don't weigh 4k..more like 3300. As far as brakes/handing, it is superior to the c5, even the ZO6. The Z wins by power/weight ratio and better torque curve.

If you want a closer compr look at the M3 CSL. Spec are 3050lbs with 360bhp and a sequential gearbox to make the car a jewel at the track, running right alongside the GT3.

Please know what you say b4 you pull it out your ***
Old 09-07-2004, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MrMex
I dont know where you get your info but M3's don't weigh 4k..more like 3300. As far as brakes/handing, it is superior to the c5, even the ZO6. The Z wins by power/weight ratio and better torque curve.

If you want a closer compr look at the M3 CSL. Spec are 3050lbs with 360bhp and a sequential gearbox to make the car a jewel at the track, running right alongside the GT3.

Please know what you say b4 you pull it out your ***
You should do the same........

The exact curb weight or an M3 with no options is 3415, with no driver..and this is the coupe. The convterible with no options weighs 3781....

Add a driver and you get between 3900 and 3600 lbs. Then add things like leather, navigation, etc.

Braking also goes to the Z06, even vs the coupe. I only went to one source for this, edmunds.com (breaking is so hard to **** up so I think we can go with the mag..I don't have a BMW magazine so I will not use GMHTP stats)

ZO6=109
M3 Coupe=112

I guess I should keep pulling things out of my ***.

I also went to an old road test that road and track did. It was a 350Z vs a Z06 vs M3 SMG vs 911 Targa

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....ber=1&preview=

Read it and weap. Z06 won everything but the slalom. It KILLED the M3 on the track and it also killed it on its braking ability, too.

I am not talking about the CSL, because I have no idea what that even is, btw. Factory vs Factory Z06 is a better race car.

Hell, this isn't even the 04 which lost weight and got a better suspenions, too.

-Todd
Old 09-07-2004, 08:21 PM
Staging Lane

You should do the same........

The exact curb weight or an M3 with no options is 3415, with no driver..and this is the coupe. The convterible with no options weighs 3781....

Add a driver and you get between 3900 and 3600 lbs. Then add things like leather, navigation, etc.

Braking also goes to the Z06, even vs the coupe. I only went to one source for this, edmunds.com (breaking is so hard to **** up so I think we can go with the mag..I don't have a BMW magazine so I will not use GMHTP stats)

ZO6=109
M3 Coupe=112

I guess I should keep pulling things out of my ***.

I also went to an old road test that road and track did. It was a 350Z vs a Z06 vs M3 SMG vs 911 Targa

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....ber=1&preview=

Read it and weap. Z06 won everything but the slalom. It KILLED the M3 on the track and it also killed it on its braking ability, too.

I am not talking about the CSL, because I have no idea what that even is, btw. Factory vs Factory Z06 is a better race car.

Hell, this isn't even the 04 which lost weight and got a better suspenions, too.

-Todd
WOW, i just weept. I didn't know they weighed that much, damn. I know they can't clear ahead of a Z06 but its not a complete pounding. Of course if I wanted to go to the track and the #1 priority was performnce all the way. It's hard to beat the pull of an ls6 in 3200lbs.

For a daily fun car, id go m3. Plush interior, NAV and the bitches dig'um
Old 09-07-2004, 08:31 PM
Staging Lane

You also have to compare apples to apples though. The Zo6 is the race breed car of the vette. That would take you to the CSL, which we dont get.

3050lbs and a bump to 360hp. So dump 400lbs and bump 30 hp on a BMW suspension and you got a great car. This would be a closer compro.
Old 09-07-2004, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think price is also a better comparison. How much do those CSL go for anyway? Any Z06 is faster than the M3. It is proven that the Z06 has plenty of power potential and suspenstion that can be changed. Hell, the Z06 comes from the factory running rich, a simple tune should uncork some power

So yea, can you give me a link about what a CSL is!? Or its price!?

-Todd
Old 09-08-2004, 12:17 AM
TECH Resident

I am surprised the 330ci was that much - must have been the vert, the coupe is about 38K base. before my mom go there 03 anny vette we test drove a 5 series. bimmers are nice but she definately made the right choice in getting the C5.

They are WAY to expensive for me. I went to look at a 330 for a daily driver and the sticker said 45,000

Sounds to me if you can buy one, you are doing pretty well off for yourself.

-Todd
Old 09-08-2004, 07:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

I was comparing the 03 Z06 to the 03 M3, which I believe the times are like 12.3 to 12.6. That is pretty close, but yes the z06 does take the cake. It is the same comparison on the road tracks as well, the z06 definately edges off the M3. I have not heard of the CSL. All I said is the M3's hang with z06, relating that the f-body's stock for stock do not hang with the M3's. The last price I saw on a M3 was 53K and that was again a M3-I was actually for like a nannosecond thinkin about getting one, then I woke up. I did a pretty close comparison. But that was in 03.
I thought the #'s for 04 were the same, but as Glove pointed out, and I have the issue in front of me, GMHTP got 11.9 out of the vette, and you shoulda seen their 60' times-very poor.
If the CSL is faster than the base M3, what is the price, that is what you have to compare as well. It is not really apples to aples, more like peaches to nectarines-lol.
For what it's worth, my choice would be the Z06 as well, but then again, I really can't afford either, so that don't really matter.
Old 09-08-2004, 07:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blk03
I am surprised the 330ci was that much - must have been the vert, the coupe is about 38K base. before my mom go there 03 anny vette we test drove a 5 series. bimmers are nice but she definately made the right choice in getting the C5.
It was a coupe, auto with some performance package that added a lot of money to it. I wouldn't even buy the car for 38 when I could get like 2 f-bodies or a 05 Goat or a used Z06. WAY too much for what you get. It wasn't even fast

I have never heard of an M3 getting a 12.6, but I have never seen a stock one run here at englishtown. I always thought they were high 12's second, low 13 second cars.

-Todd
Old 09-08-2004, 08:21 AM
STF Veteran

Very good article Gloveperson! American bang for the buck.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was comparing the 03 Z06 to the 03 M3, which I believe the times are like 12.3 to 12.6. That is pretty close, but yes the z06 does take the cake. It is the same comparison on the road tracks as well, the z06 definately edges off the M3. I have not heard of the CSL. All I said is the M3's hang with z06, relating that the f-body's stock for stock do not hang with the M3's. The last price I saw on a M3 was 53K and that was again a M3-I was actually for like a nannosecond thinkin about getting one, then I woke up. I did a pretty close comparison. But that was in 03.
I thought the #'s for 04 were the same, but as Glove pointed out, and I have the issue in front of me, GMHTP got 11.9 out of the vette, and you shoulda seen their 60' times-very poor.
If the CSL is faster than the base M3, what is the price, that is what you have to compare as well. It is not really apples to aples, more like peaches to nectarines-lol.
For what it's worth, my choice would be the Z06 as well, but then again, I really can't afford either, so that don't really matter.
I dont' know where you are getting this from. That can't be the 333 HP M3. I have only heard of one M3 breaking into the 12s -- and CERTAINLY not 12.6 or lower. I believe MMFF ran a 12 in one once, but that's it.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:29 PM
Staging Lane

It is not really apples to aples, more like peaches to nectarines-lol.
Don't go getting fruity on us dude

There is not too much nfo on the csl b/c its a new car and not tested over here. Top Gear tested the car on the same track they test every other car they thrash on and it did fairly well. Here's the link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/powerlaps/
The car was edged out by the C6 which they harped on for having leaf springs douchebags.

Other than that, i just google'd it and found a little info here and there.

If you got time check out this vid of the car in action alongside a Merciulago, 360CS, NSX-R and Gallardo...good ****....56k NO.
http://www.norcalevo.net/video/motegibattle.wmv