Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody had a heater hose fail?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 06:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anybody had a heater hose fail?

My car is a 98 and the heater hoses are over 5 years old. Do I need to replace them? Anybody had one to fail?

How about the rubber transmission lines to the radiator? Has anybody had one of those to fail?
Old 09-07-2004, 08:11 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Larry
My car is a 98 and the heater hoses are over 5 years old. Do I need to replace them? Anybody had one to fail?

How about the rubber transmission lines to the radiator? Has anybody had one of those to fail?
I looked at mine when I did my cam swap a few months back. The hoses on my 98 all looked good. If they look cracked or dry-rotted you should relpace them though.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:08 AM
TECH Addict

Mine look good but I just had one of my transmission cooler fluid lines to break that looked good too. The line that broke was an aftermaket hose and not factory. It was however very thick and looked strong.

I think the only place to buy these hoses is the dealer. Probably cost an arm and leg.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:23 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Larry
Mine look good but I just had one of my transmission cooler fluid lines to break that looked good too. The line that broke was an aftermaket hose and not factory. It was however very thick and looked strong.

I think the only place to buy these hoses is the dealer. Probably cost an arm and leg.
That's kind of odd. Do they make an upgraded hose? Like braided steel?
Old 09-07-2004, 11:28 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Another_User
That's kind of odd. Do they make an upgraded hose? Like braided steel?
Something that would last indefinitely would be nice.
Old 09-07-2004, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't had one fail, but I just replaced the hoses on my '98 at the same time I did the v6 to v8 swap.

If you don't want to spend the money on the factory lines, you can cut the connectors with a dremel and pull the old rubber lines off, re-using the aluminum part of the lines. Underneath that crimped on connector is a plain old heater hose ridge, just like the one on the pipe that comes out of the heater core... Then you can buy some rubber heater hose for about $1 a foot, 8 hose clamps, and have new heater hoses.

It's a pain to reach those clamps at the heater core.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

O.E. and aftermarket both reccomend changing all hoses every 4 years.
Old 09-08-2004, 06:49 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ls1_doc
Have you changed out yours on your 99? Transmission hoses too? Did you buy from dealer or parts store. My local O'Reillys didn't have a set of heater hoses like factory. Have to cut and hose clamp like John mentioned.
Old 09-08-2004, 09:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just be sure and don't cut the metal line itself. Just split the connector with a dremel, spread it open, and slide it off...

gmpartsdirect has the lines for somewhere short of $100 but I didn't want to wait, I was at the end of the swap and wanted to get it on the road asap.

The tranny hard lines should be ok. There is the rubber at the radiator end but not at the tranny end. I replaced one of the rubber ends when I put the tranny cooler on. I still have the stock line on the other one. I've never seen a tranny line blow out in almost 30 years of driving.
Old 09-08-2004, 09:34 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ls1_doc
Do you have any idea how much money these companies would make if we replaced every part when they "recommended" it? They would be laughing, while dropping a big one in toilets made of solid gold, and finish off by wiping their butts with gold leaf. LOL!