Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Official: New Acura RL

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 08:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Official: New Acura RL

300hp and AWD.... finally Acura is stepping up to the luxo-car plate. (Love that interior too).

All-new 2005 RL gives Acura its strongest, most exciting lineup ever

Acura has issued the following press release:

The all-new RL luxury performance sedan completes the revitalization of the Acura sedan lineup that began with the introduction of the TSX sports sedan. Acura now offers three benchmark-setting sedans, the TSX, the class-leading TL performance luxury sedan and the all-new RL, which has been completely redesigned and re-engineered to compete with models from BMW, Mercedes Benz, Audi and Lexus. (Editor's note: The Acura RL will be known as the Honda Legend outside USA)

With a 300 horsepower VTEC(TM) V-6 engine, a revolutionary all-wheel drive system, dynamic styling and breakthrough technology, including the first North American application of satellite-based real-time traffic information, the all-new 2005 Acura RL is designed to redefine the luxury performance sedan category.

The RL showcases an assortment of Acura firsts including the Super Handling
All-Wheel Drive(TM) System (SH-AWD(TM)), the first and only all-wheel drive platform that distributes the optimum amount of torque not only between the front and rear wheels but also between the left and right rear wheels for breathtaking handling and optimum stability on all road surfaces.

The RL's 3.5-liter, 24-valve, all-aluminum VTEC engine is the most powerful engine ever in an Acura, generating 300 hp at 6200 rpm and 260 lb-ft of torque at 5,000 rpm. A 5-speed Sequential SportShift(TM) automatic transmission enables gears to be shifted using a shift lever on the center console or paddle-shifters located on the steering wheel.

To complement the high performance powertrain, Acura gave the RL a highly rigid yet lightweight unit body, that, as part of Acura's commitment to providing Safety for Everyone, includes the Advanced Compatibility Engineering (TM) (ACE(TM)) body structure. By dispersing collision forces over a larger frontal area, the ACE structure helps to provide even better protection for vehicle occupants while at the same time reducing aggressivity toward other vehicles in a frontal collision.

The RL's lightweight chassis and 4-wheel independent suspension components are tuned to complement the SH-AWD system and deliver a linear cornering feel, optimum traction and a smooth ride. The 17x8-inch alloy wheels are fitted with P245/50R17 98 V-rated Michelin all-season high performance tires. Large 4-wheel ventilated disc brakes with 4-piston front calipers, ABS, Electronic Brake Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist provide optimum stopping power.

The RL's exterior styling reflects the abundant power under the hood. A sleek cockpit, forward sloping beltline and short deck lid accent the RL's pronounced wedge shape, making it look fast from any angle. While it is almost three inches shorter than the current RL, it is over an inch wider and offers more passenger volume than the RL it replaces.

Inside, the new RL features rich leather, genuine wood trim, an assortment of leading-edge technology including a satellite communications system called AcuraLink(TM) that provides the latest in in-car communications including, for the first time in North America, standard real time traffic information

Source:Autoindex.org

http://autoindex.org/news.plt?no=912#
More pictures

Old 09-07-2004, 08:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

I like this years rear end better, it looks like its starting to look like an Accord.
But 300hp is enough to take your mind off the Honda looks
Old 09-07-2004, 09:52 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by markss2oo1
I like this years rear end better, it looks like its starting to look like an Accord.
The funny thing is that outside the United States, Acuras are sold as Hondas. Here is the Acura RL sold across the pond as the "Honda Legend"

Old 09-07-2004, 09:55 AM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm glad I modded the Camaro, seems like every family car these days has 300+ hp.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

no kidding, and the horse power just keeping on going up
Old 09-08-2004, 12:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

agreed with above statements, HP is getting out of control

if Honda mo co wants us to believe in Acura they better start looking different than Hondas IMO

thats funny, a Honda Legend, the big 'H' on it makes you think its a cheaper car than the one with an 'A' on it.....weird
Old 09-08-2004, 02:03 PM
12 Second Club

I thought the exact same thing.
Old 09-08-2004, 02:08 PM
TECH Addict

agreed with above statements, HP is getting out of control

if Honda mo co wants us to believe in Acura they better start looking different than Hondas IMO

thats funny, a Honda Legend, the big 'H' on it makes you think its a cheaper car than the one with an 'A' on it.....weird
I think they've done a good job making Acura look different. Heck I think the Acura TL is one of the best looking Sedans on the market:

It just has that fatal flaw of being FWD. Acura will never be a major Luxury car player if they continue to push their product down market with FWD. I mean heck look at what FWD did to Cadillac

Thank God Caddy finally saw the light and started going back to RWD.

-Adam
Old 09-08-2004, 02:08 PM
12 Second Club

Agreed, but too bad it's FWD.
Old 09-09-2004, 07:36 AM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rear wheel drive is sporty... front wheel drive is safer in the rain and snow. Most people have the safety mentality when shopping, they arnt like us, looking for the best weight to power ratio hahaha.
Old 09-10-2004, 08:14 AM
Teching In

Acura could have done a much better job on body styling. The long awaited new RL look.....is nothing more that a bigger faster Honda Accord. The interior is awesome, but acura's always have had that. They needed to make a bold statement. Try and compete with Lexus and BMW. I feel, if your going to stick with a front wheel drive car, it better look a whole lot better than everything else. But, it does not. And it is very expensive. The Acura is a great vehicle, and I own a TL that is a daily driver, but they missed their chance to hit a home run here...

Quick Reply: Official: New Acura RL