Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car sounds like a civic on steriouds around 2k rpm

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 12:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Car sounds like a civic on steriouds around 2k rpm

I installed SLP Dual dual on my 99 z28 a4. I had the shop take off my cats while they were at it. They just put a pipe where the cats were after they took them off.

I love the sound of the car at lower RPMs when I am just strolling around town. So I am driving and I notice this hardcore civic fart pipe noise coming. I am like, dam these ricers and there loud civics. I look around and dont see no civic. Holy crap, thats coming from my car I dont know how it goes from sounding good to sound like utter crap. Right when the RPMs get to 2k it starts.

When I drive, and the RPMs are about to go to 2k, I release the gas so the car upshifts and the RPMs fall back down. What can I do to get rid of this? I am thinking the people who took of the cats and put in a pipe to replace the cats might have done something wrong. Is it common to hear this?
Old 09-07-2004, 01:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Get someone else to drive your car for you. You might change your mind. If that doesnt work get a true duals or a gmmg (if you want a catback)
Old 09-07-2004, 01:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2000 RPM is low. You said you liked the sound before and all of the sudden it changed?

Maybe an exhaust leak? Check for a leak.

Maybe some vibration from the install? Check to see if everything is hooked up right.

Are you sure they didn't install vtec? Does it really sound that bad
Old 09-07-2004, 02:56 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
Get someone else to drive your car for you. You might change your mind.
You mean have someone else drive it while he stands outside of it listening to it drive by? He might like it better but it won't change how it sounds inside where he has to be to drive it.
I guess he could always have someone else just drive his car around for him.
Old 09-07-2004, 04:43 PM
Staging Lane

I'll volunteer to drive your car around town for ya. I also think you need to stand behind the car while someone (me) smokes the tires. Otherwise you will never get a full understanding of how your exhaust sounds
Old 09-08-2004, 01:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by monyhunter
I'll volunteer to drive your car around town for ya. I also think you need to stand behind the car while someone (me) smokes the tires. Otherwise you will never get a full understanding of how your exhaust sounds
hahahah, I took the advice and had one of my freinds drive by. It sounded alot better than I thought, My freind didnt notice anything when he was driving. I guess I can live with it.
Old 09-09-2004, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

The noise is because you have no cats. Its known as "rasp" around here and is very common. The SLP dual/Dual is about the best catback you can get to help reduce this noise. If you can't live with the sound, order two 2.5" Dynomax bullet mufflers and have them welded into the y pipe near where the cats were. It will pretty much eliminate the noise...another option is get a set of highflow cats..about $60 each.
Old 09-09-2004, 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MyLS1Hauls
The noise is because you have no cats. Its known as "rasp" around here and is very common. The SLP dual/Dual is about the best catback you can get to help reduce this noise. If you can't live with the sound, order two 2.5" Dynomax bullet mufflers and have them welded into the y pipe near where the cats were. It will pretty much eliminate the noise...another option is get a set of highflow cats..about $60 each.
Another way that seemed to elimate it for some was the stick hollowed out cats where the cats would be. Same performance, looks legal and should elimate some rasp (not all of it though).

-Todd