Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone tried "dynamat" or other sound proofing

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 02:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone tried "dynamat" or other sound proofing

to quiet down the droan. It seems to be coming through the lower trunk so I was going to "dynamat" it to see if that helps. I love the Maganflow sound most of the time but there is a rumble at a particular cruising speed that is really annoying.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I tried the "peal n seal" from Lowes. Worked pretty well at reducing the drone but nothing is going to eliminate it completely. The problem is that the drone is a lower pitch and you would have to have an insane amount of sound deadening to stop it.

If you want to reduce it though, take a look at fatmatt, b-quiet, or even peal n seal. The peal n seal stunk like hell for about 3 weeks but finally the smell went away and I do notice a slight reduction in road noise.

Russell
Old 09-07-2004, 02:24 PM
On The Tree

Ive heard people having good results using b-quiet, but i'm not sure how much it really helps drone.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MyLilWS6
Ive heard people having good results using b-quiet, but i'm not sure how much it really helps drone.
I am not sure if it is "drone" or just a low rumble. It hits from 1500-1800 rpm like a low growl. Otherwise the sound is very good at idle and nice and smooth above 2000 rpm. It sounds like it is coming from the lower trunk which is right above the muffler. The sound is also much stronger on the driver side of the car.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Drone usually happens around 25-2800 (at least in my and my 2 friends f-bodys). If it's a growl type sound, you might be rubbing on the heat shield or actually vibrating the heat shield causing the sound.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:55 PM
Launching!

Brown bread from B-quiet, super stuff.
Old 09-07-2004, 03:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2.5" Sweet-Thunder TDs w/ a layer of B-Quiet over the entire interior. I don't have any drone. Just an extremely deep exhaust. There's nothing that any sound dampener can do about that.

I LOVE IT!!
Old 09-07-2004, 03:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do you have any clips of the exhaust by chance? I've been wanting to hear the TD's but haven't had a chance yet.

My Zed style cutout produces some drone but that is to be expected. There is a reason that subwoofers can produce extremely loud bass in our cars, and that same reason causes drone for almost any exhaust. The rear hatch is just a big reverberating sound chamber for low frequencies. Hell, even my stock exhaust had a *slight* drone at 2600 rpm or so.

Like I said, sound deadening helped a little bit, but to eliminate the drone would require impractical amounts of deadener. Even 6" concrete can't stop 30hz sound waves from penetrating, so 1/8" thick asphault doesn't stand much of a chance.

Russell
Old 09-07-2004, 03:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ws6-speed
Do you have any clips of the exhaust by chance? I've been wanting to hear the TD's but haven't had a chance yet.

My Zed style cutout produces some drone but that is to be expected. There is a reason that subwoofers can produce extremely loud bass in our cars, and that same reason causes drone for almost any exhaust. The rear hatch is just a big reverberating sound chamber for low frequencies. Hell, even my stock exhaust had a *slight* drone at 2600 rpm or so.

Like I said, sound deadening helped a little bit, but to eliminate the drone would require impractical amounts of deadener. Even 6" concrete can't stop 30hz sound waves from penetrating, so 1/8" thick asphault doesn't stand much of a chance.

Russell
www.ls1sounds.com.. quite a few clips of sweet-thunder true duals..

I'll be posting a couple clips either tonight or in the morning.

Quick Reply: Anyone tried "dynamat" or other sound proofing