Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

texas-speed y pipe

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 04:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default texas-speed y pipe

Is anyone using the texas speed 3 inch catted y pipe with their long tubes on a lowered car? I plan on ordering this one to go with my pacesetters, and i was wondering how close my ground clearance was going to be. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-07-2004, 04:25 PM
Staging Lane

oh yeah, i have the eibach pro kit.
Old 09-07-2004, 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm interested too, so TTT for ya.
Old 09-07-2004, 05:40 PM
TECH Resident

I dont think anyone actually has the Ypipe, it came out like last week and now its on back order. Give it a little time and Im sure reviews will surface
Old 09-09-2004, 02:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 16nrollininaws6
I dont think anyone actually has the Ypipe, it came out like last week and now its on back order. Give it a little time and Im sure reviews will surface
Sounds good, I don't plan on ordering one for a few months, so thanks for now. I'll be sure to keep a look out for anybody's responses. I emailed them about it, but haven't heard anything back. If i get a response, i'll be sure to post it.
Old 09-09-2004, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 16nrollininaws6
That's kind of funny. Half the guys on site that tell you that Pacesetter's Y sucks have never actually seen one, and I think everybody on site recomends the TSP Y, and it looks like almost nobody has seen them at all. ... Just one of those band wagon things I guess.
Old 09-09-2004, 02:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CaptUSA
That's kind of funny. Half the guys on site that tell you that Pacesetter's Y sucks have never actually seen one, and I think everybody on site recomends the TSP Y, and it looks like almost nobody has seen them at all. ... Just one of those band wagon things I guess.
Old 09-09-2004, 02:53 PM
Staging Lane

the only reason i mentioned the texas speed y is because im looking for a y with cats ( i have loudmouth), and thats the first one i've seen that says it fits the pacesetter lt's. i've heard how the LM sounds with long tubes with an ORY. How does the tsp do on lowered cars? im open for suggestions.
Old 09-09-2004, 07:29 PM
TECH Resident

The TSP Y is like two weeks old, almost nobody has seen it. Give it some time and I bet it will sell like hot cakes. A lot of people need a catted-y for Pacesetters, Hookers, and one that isnt crap for Jet Hots. I am still waiting for the pics of the final product from TSP. Im sure a thread will be started about it once the final pics are released. Patience, young grasshoppers.
Old 09-10-2004, 02:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I live 10 mins from TSP, they put so much effort into there stuff. Just look into there true duals they made. They will be sweet.
Old 09-11-2004, 11:35 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by CaptUSA
I'm interested too, so TTT for ya.

I just remembered that the muffler on my loudmouth hangs pretty damn low; i usually scrape on speed bumps if i don't take them slow enough. I went and measured that and its about 2 and a half to three inches from the ground. I'd assume that maybe the y would be about that close to the ground if not a little less? If thats the case then im not going to worry too much about clearance. This helps me a little i hope it helps you out.
Old 12-18-2004, 04:52 PM
On The Tree

I just put the TSP catted Y, plus Pacesetter LT's on my 99 SS, with DMS lowering springs. I have about 2" of ground clearance under the lowest part of the Y pipe. It is very low and scrapes on small speed bumps. I'm going to try and adjust it some again tomorrow, but if I can't get anymore clearance, then I'm replacing it with a off road Y pipe.
Old 12-27-2004, 02:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

what bout with hotchkis springs? those dont lower the car as much as the pro kit, anyone want to guess at what the clearence would be with those? only reason i ask is b/c that is the setup imma go with...
Old 01-24-2005, 02:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JonSSMichael
what bout with hotchkis springs? those dont lower the car as much as the pro kit, anyone want to guess at what the clearence would be with those? only reason i ask is b/c that is the setup imma go with...
TSP Catted Y is SOLD!!!
Old 01-24-2005, 03:12 PM
Launching!

It looks like you bought the off-road Pacesetter Y pipe to replace the TSP? Do you have better clearance now?
Old 01-25-2005, 12:15 AM
On The Tree

The TSP ory is a slip-fit and the pacsetter ory is not. You will find that the TSP will be much more adjustable and fit a lot better than the pacesetter Y unless u get lucky...
Old 01-25-2005, 01:17 PM
TECH Resident

I installed one of these last week for a customer - and had some issues. Talked to Jason at TSP about them - and he was going to call me back after they worked with one on a car they had there. He never did, but I'm sure they were busy.

I went ahead and worked around the problems to get it on the car.

Setting my PAST differences aside with TSP Here's what I would suggest they change:

1. The swedging on the Y collector isn't large enough to go over a coated header collector - unless you sledge hammered it on. It's swedged just enough for regular 3" pipe, but with the heavier gauge header collector and ceramic coating on top - it's just WAY too tight. We couldn't get it 1/2" - 1" onto the header.

2. The first leg from the drivers side header is too close to the frame rail. This was with brand new coated Pacesetter headers. Granted, every car is a bit different, as are headers. But I'm assuming since TSP probably sells more Pacesetter headers than any other, they'll want them to fit that header best - IMO.

3. Once the system is together - the Y portion ends up pointing down - killing ground clearance. And the small piece that comes out of it - to slip into a stock Y pipe, points down as well(welded at a down angle) - instead of up. Like the angle on the jig was backwards/upside down - if you understand what I'm saying. If you push it up - you push the whole system into all kinds of clearance issues. I had to rebuild it some to get satifactory ground clearance. I also had to flatten out the pipe around the frame rails(on the drivers side) to get clearance there. Otherwise it would have hit every time he gave it the gas...

4. Although there's cats - there's no bungs for O2 sensors behind the cats - so you'll need to have them welded in, or still run O2 sims or have the codes deleted with edit, etc.. Even with the cats, the way they're positioned, and being a higher flowing cat - the car may still throw codes with the rear O2's hooked up. Possibly why TSP left them out to begin with.

The pipe has great potential for those wanting cats - once they get the bugs worked out. And just as I told Jason, the welder/builder may have just had a bad day on that particular batch...

Last edited by Lane; 01-25-2005 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01-25-2005, 01:36 PM
Launching!

Thanks for posting your experiences...very informative post
Old 01-25-2005, 01:39 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by FinalTA
Thanks for posting your experiences...very informative post
You're welcome. Glad you took it how I meant it. As simple, constructive information - NOT criticism.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:05 PM
On The Tree

I just installed the TSP Y-pipe on my 99 T/A this weekend connecting to Pace Setters w/Ceramic coating. The fit to the headers was a little tight but not impossible with a little persuation. The only thing that concerns me is the driver cat is very close to the fuel lines. It also has a very tight fit with my SLP DS Loop. I guess it is a compromise for them to engineer the perfect setup but overall I am pleased. I am taking it to get O2s welded in behind the cats and the whole setup welded on.

Mike

Quick Reply: texas-speed y pipe