Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throwing serpentine belt!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 04:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Throwing serpentine belt!!!!

Please help Ugggghhhh......Ok, I have 150 shot dry nos on my car and when I am going about 20 or so and mash it the serpentine belt comes off. This was a new one due to the last one coming off so wear isnt an issue. Luckily I carry a spare one because of last time and could change it right there but this is becoming a pain in the a**. What can I do to solve this? Thanks for the help in advance
Old 09-07-2004, 04:49 PM
TECH Addict

There are two solutions to your problem. One is to buy a "Larry pulley" which is basically just like your stocker, but has a higher lip so the belt won't "jump". The pulley can be bought at Thunder Racing for about $70 shipped. Or, you can buy an adjustable spring tensioner from Katech. I don't know the exact cost of this, but I think it's around $170 or so. I was having the same problem you are (no nitrous though), and the Larry pulley fixed it.
Old 09-07-2004, 05:31 PM
On The Tree

I was looking on Thunder Racing for the "Larry Pulley"...who makes it?

Originally Posted by Krab
There are two solutions to your problem. One is to buy a "Larry pulley" which is basically just like your stocker, but has a higher lip so the belt won't "jump". The pulley can be bought at Thunder Racing for about $70 shipped. Or, you can buy an adjustable spring tensioner from Katech. I don't know the exact cost of this, but I think it's around $170 or so. I was having the same problem you are (no nitrous though), and the Larry pulley fixed it.
Old 09-07-2004, 06:17 PM
TECH Addict

The Katech tensioner is about $130, I think $140ish shipped, I forget. It fixed my problems. Some people have had luck using a new stock tensioner, some use the Larry pulley, and some use the Katech. Think about it this way, if you have to replace that pulley twice, you could have just bought the adjustable tensioner. It is about the easiest part I have put in my car. Also, you will need to buy a new stock pulley. It will run you about $11-$14 bucks at Advance Auto, or any place like that. Don't cheap out and use your old one.
Old 09-07-2004, 06:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1998CruzMssl
I was looking on Thunder Racing for the "Larry Pulley"...who makes it?
Some guy named Larry ....sorry couldn't resist
Old 09-07-2004, 06:31 PM
TECH Addict

To order the Larry pulley, you have to call one of the reps, they don't have it listed on their site. Just tell them you want the Larry pulley, and they'll know what you're talking about.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I bought the Katech adjustable belt tensioner (P/N 99-A2299, $130) and the LS1 tensioner pulley with larger side ribs (P/N 49-840-121, $65, not on website) from Thunder Racing. I probably only needed the pulley itself to fix my belt walking issue.

One think I noticed was that the Thunder Racing logo is etched into the adjustable tensioner. I found that odd since the website says it's a Katech unit.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:31 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for all in info....this is a big PITA.....and for the "Larry comment" you go look at Thunder Racing for the "Larry Pulley" and see if you find it