Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Moser 12 bolt - 1350 yoke to d/s connection question

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Moser 12 bolt - 1350 yoke to d/s connection question

I had a 12 bolt installed back in the spring, but I just recently bought a 3" chromolly d/s to replace the tin can stocker. I installed it this weekend, but I have a question about how it was connected to the yoke on the axle. Securing the d/s U-joint to the yoke was just a pair of U-bolts with nuts on the end. Is this how the connection is normally made with a Moser? I had thought their were caps or ears, like in a stock setup, using 4 bolts though the yoke. It just seems to me there's an awful lot of stress on a pair of chintzy 10 cent U bolts when doing a clutch dump on slicks.

2nd off, I could not come close to fitting a torque wrench in there, so I tightened it as best I could by hand. I had read in another thread after searching that the bolts should not be overtigthened - could this cause any problems? I took it out for one quick spin yesterday and I thought I could feel a slight vibration around 70. Could an error in install on my part cause this (like incorrect torque on those nuts) or might the d/s be out of balance?

Thanks in advance guys!
Old 09-08-2004, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

TTT, anyone who's dropped the D/S on a Moser, you have the same setup?
Old 09-08-2004, 11:22 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The u-bolts really dont take that much stress, the yoke takes a little over half the diameter of the cap and thats what takes most of the punishment. Besides, a one piece 3/8 u-bolt is way stronger then the little stock stuff.

Just tighten them pretty tight with a regular 9/16 wrench, they wont fall out unless you leave them loose - check them after you drive the car for a bit. Only way to screw up and get a vibration is if one of the caps didnt seat all the way in the yoke, it happens sometimes. Just make sure both caps are 'buried' the same amount in the yoke.
Old 09-09-2004, 07:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Great, thank you very much kp, just what I was looking for. I'll double check the caps - It did take a bit of effort to get the caps seated, had to give it a few taps with a mallet. That also puts me at ease about the U-bolts.