Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street vs. Drag Only Education needed!

Old 03-21-2003, 06:10 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Street vs. Drag Only Education needed!

Ok, after buying a very nice condition set of used ProStars w/tires, I replaced the studs and when mounting noticed the fronts say "Drag Use Only." Why? Is it because the lateral load of zipping hell bent around tight curves is too much? Not sure, but I would like to mount them on the car and drive to the track. I live w/in 10miles of the track and normally take the backstreet to get there which is all a 35mph zone (sometimes it really is that too!), relatively smooth surface. Is this too much or what? Cant see NE other reason a wheel and tire made to exceed 150++mph in only 1320 feet cant be recommended for street driving, even limited use. All Info welcome. TIA Charlie.
Old 03-21-2003, 09:25 PM
Restricted User

Default Re: Street vs. Drag Only Education needed!

ttt
Old 03-21-2003, 09:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are not made to withstand the loads usually associated with street driving. Cornering, potholes, road irregularities, etc could cause the wheel to fail. That being said, I have driven on skinnies for weeks at a time, and never seen any ill effects. IMO, as long as you are careful and aware that you can't go around corners like a banshee, you should be ok.
Old 03-21-2003, 10:23 PM
Texas Director

What Spanky said. I drive all the time on the street with my 15" x 3.5" Pro-Star skinnies on. Just slow down and don't take corners fast. You will also notice that it takes you longer to stop when you get on the brakes sort of hard.
Old 03-21-2003, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Exactly what Spanky said. Just be extra carefull when driving, and look out for potholes! Even small ones could bend them.
Old 03-21-2003, 10:27 PM
TECH Resident

During the racing season I drive on my draglites all the time b/c I don't feel like changing them every weekend at the track. Assuming you don't hit some seriously huge potholes they will be fine.

FYI: FASTR A4 drove on her skinnies all the way to the Thunder Shootout in Lousiana from the Chicago area. I think you can make it 10 miles to the track LOL.
Old 03-22-2003, 04:25 AM
Restricted User

Exactly what you said is what I thought. Its nice to see your common sense is right, thanks. I just thought maybe, maybe there was some deal with the heat from the brakes or some stupid crap. NEway, thanks to all.

Search this Thread