Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are my replacement options for ball'n'socket header flanges?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 07:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Default What are my replacement options for ball'n'socket header flanges?

I've got the Grotyohann headers with the ball'n'socket flanges, mated with his y-pipe. I'd like to finally replace this y-pipe, but want to avoid the leaks at the collector flange associated with the usual slip-fit tubing.

I currently have cats and want them on the new y-pipe as well. I don't want to deal with the smell and rasp of losing the cats. While I'd like a true dual solution, everything I've read indicates I wouldn't like the additional noise/resonance, nor cost (I wouldn't accept pre-axle dump(s)), nor loss of ground clearance from having to go under the axle.

It doesn't seem like anyone makes a y-pipe with this style of flange. What sort of options do I have without making it look like a hack job? I'm not terribly interested in replacing the headers just to change flanges. Can I cut off the ball socket, add an extension to the collectors and keep it looking professional and leak-free without welding?

The flange aside, I was considering using PPC's or QTP' s y-pipe. The other unknown is the new TA I'll be getting from Unbalanced Engineering. It's a complete new design and I'm not sure how compatible these y-pipes will be with it.

TIA!
Old 09-08-2004, 07:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, you can just cut off the ball and socket and add extensions. I would weld these however.Standard exhaust clamps look bad and I just do not like them personally.

possible connections:
V-clamps such as those found on turbo systems

Standard Three bolt flanges

Wiggins clamps

Or you an use a slip fit w/ stainless band clamps (no image)
Old 09-09-2004, 01:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Answers with pictures are few and far between. Well done Chad. Also, there was a different type of clamp talked about recently that was totally pimp... I don't remember what the hell it was called though. I keep wanting to say dragon something or other (but I'm sure that's not it). ... Anybody know what I'm talking about? They were gold in color..... ?? I'll look around, and hopefully come up with them.
Old 09-09-2004, 01:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Success!!!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ghlight=clamps

They were called pythons. The pictures are down now, but you should PM him and ask him to send you some. They look SOOO clean under there, you would hardly even want to put it under the car.
Old 09-09-2004, 01:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.pi-thon.com/products.htm

This link is their main site. Give you a good idea of what they look like at the very least.
Old 09-19-2004, 09:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I've been reading complaints about apparently every major vendor's mail-order y-pipes not fitting and/or tucking up well to the chassis.

It seems there aren't any places in my area which do mandrel bent tubing This d4mn y-pipe needs to go. I need it tuck up better to the chassis so I can make a torque arm fit

Any ideas, fellas?

Quick Reply: What are my replacement options for ball'n'socket header flanges?