Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

please...need help with paint chip.

Old 09-09-2004, 04:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default please...need help with paint chip.

i recently had my rear bumper cover re-painted. 2 days after i got the car back, i was trying to remove my old catback. while wrestling with it, one of the exhaust tips smacked up into the bumper ( cutout section on t/a bumper,) and much to my dismay, took a penny sized chip of paint with it. since the chip can't be seen unless you actually get down and look for it, i tried covering it with touch up paint. of course, this didn't work as the paint has cracked/flaked a little more from the original spot, making me feel like even more of an ***. is there anything i can use to stop the spread of this? thanks for any help.
Old 09-09-2004, 06:04 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm, I would try to possibly sand (1500+ grit) the edges down so it wouldn't have a place to 'grab' and lift off the paint...
Old 09-09-2004, 08:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MadIceV8
Hmm, I would try to possibly sand (1500+ grit) the edges down so it wouldn't have a place to 'grab' and lift off the paint...
Yep carefully sand down the edges
Old 09-09-2004, 08:25 PM
Fiery Features Director

Sounds like your touch up paint isn't sticking. I would suggest starting over... Clean the section really good with rubbing alcohol. If the area is small and you don't want to risk messing up the paint around it, use the end of a pencil. Put the sandpaper around the eraser and sand the area with that. Once you have the area sanded down well, clean it again. Use a cotton swap to fill the area with a thin layer of primer and make sure that you fill any areas that are still lifting. After a hour or so, you can sand the primer down with a less harsh sandpaper. Then apply a thin coat of paint with the swab. Let it dry and apply another layer of paint. You are going to have to wait a few days (atleast 3-4) and then you can go over the spot with rubbing compound. Then wash and wax after some more time passes. It might be alot of work but it will leave your paint looking like new and will keep the paint from peeling further.
Old 09-10-2004, 06:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks a lot. i'll give it a try. is there a special primer i should use?
Old 09-10-2004, 07:32 PM
Fiery Features Director

Originally Posted by Mean Machine
thanks a lot. i'll give it a try. is there a special primer i should use?
It really depends on what type of paint you are using.
Old 09-10-2004, 11:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

since the spot isn't in plain view, i was planning on using touch-up paint. my main concern is to stop any further damage. if something else is more appropriate, i'll use it. i just want to get it fixed. this chip went all the way to the black plastic. i'm almost too embarrassed to go back to the body shop, as this will be the third rear bumper replacement/re-paint in 1.5 years!
Old 09-11-2004, 12:05 PM
Fiery Features Director

Originally Posted by Mean Machine
since the spot isn't in plain view, i was planning on using touch-up paint. my main concern is to stop any further damage. if something else is more appropriate, i'll use it. i just want to get it fixed. this chip went all the way to the black plastic. i'm almost too embarrassed to go back to the body shop, as this will be the third rear bumper replacement/re-paint in 1.5 years!
You shouldn't need to take it back to a body shop. They will end up charging you way more than you should spend. If the spot isn't in plain view, I wouldn't put too much money into it. The touch up paint should work just as long as you sand it down good and make sure that it sticks. Make sure you clean all the dust from the spot prior to filling it in.

Search this Thread