Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pan Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 08:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil Pan Gasket

What is the easiest way to change the oil pan gasket? I changed my pump for an LS6 pump and know the seal leaks. I was looking at dropping the cross member and having access that way. But thats a major bitch just to change the gasket. Other than lowering the cross member how could you even gain access to do it? Any advice?

Thanks

Brandon
Old 09-10-2004, 08:35 AM
TECH Regular

The seal? Do you mean the bottom left and right hand side of the front cover gasket? Did you use RTV where those points and the oil pan meet? I just changed my rod bolts on a vette and had to drop the whole crossmember. When I replaced the oil pan and gasket I put RTV at the corners where the seals met the oil pan gasket. No leaks so far. I wonder if you can just pull the front seal forward and get some rtv at those spots and close it back up without touching the pan gasket?
Old 09-10-2004, 08:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

GRAY SILICONE looks best.
Old 09-10-2004, 08:48 AM
TECH Junkie

I've never personally done it, but I'm relatively sure that you can get the oil pan off of the car by just loosening the K-member and letting it drop down a bit. That's sure a lot easier than removing it completely.

Other than that, there won't be any way to get the pan off short of removing the engine from the car.
Old 09-10-2004, 10:51 AM
TECH Addict

Honestly I feel like a moron. I totally forgot to put RTV where the timing cover meets the oil pan. I would assume that is a common leak area. I will try and drop the pan enough to get in there and seal the corners. Thanks for the help guys.

Brandon