Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with kooks headers & exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 03:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with kooks headers & exhaust

I have ordered my kook headers about a week ago and waiting on them. I haven't ordered a kooks y pipe yet because I was thinking of doing true duals over the axle. I took it to a local muffler shop and was told it would be way to hard to do duals. He said there was no way he could take it over the drivers side axle and said if he could it would probaley be awful looking. He did duals on other vehicles except Fbodys and vettes because he said gm probalely made it so you can't have duals on these cars. Is there anyone that sellsduals over the axle? If not and I get the ypipe, will the car sound the same if I ran borlasXR1 on the ypipe as oppossed to running them on duals? I heard BorlaXR1 and sweetchambers on duals on LS1sounds and loved the sound.
Then he also told me that my headers will not pass the OB2 inspection in PA because the o2 sensor has to be in the same place as before but I thought with extensions it would pass and the ses light would stay off. Is this true? Thanks
Old 09-10-2004, 03:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well your exhaust guy is on crack...vettes come STOCK with true duals...and i bet you can find well over 100 people on this site that have true duals...however not that many have them over the axle....it can be done...3" duals over the axle are going to be real tight...if you go over each side...the driver side will not work very well....however 2.5" will be fine...you will just have to move some wires so they do not burn....you can run true duals over the passenger side axle and bring it back around so the tips exit on both sides no problem...your problem seems to be finding someone who can do something....i would highly recommend not using that exhaust guy for anything...go to www.ls1sounds.com and there are some pictures of true duals over the axle...
Old 09-12-2004, 08:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking of doing 2.5' over the axle. Is it possible to run it over the drivers side and if not how would I run 2 2.5" pipes through the passenger side because the pipe now doesn't have much clearance. He said there was no holes to run it through the drivers side so what do would need done there?
Old 09-12-2004, 10:15 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

BMR sells a panhard brace that has a bend in it that alows alot more room for a true dual over the axle setup, you may want to look into that. I'd also reccommend avoiding the exhaust guy you went to, I don't think that he has donew too many 4th gen f body's. I'd try to find members here that live in your area, they could probably give you the name of a shop near you that can handle what you are looking to do. I'd also stay with dual 3 inch pipes the whole way back if you are gonna do it, and if you decide to go single, I'd go 4 inch. I wish I had, bacause I'll have to gut my LM off when I get into the motor and run 4 inch in it's place to get the flow I'm gonna need.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like stated above, get a second opinion. Here are a few pics I've stolen from different boards showing true duals out the back. It can be done, just have to find a shop that is willing to be creative with the bends.