Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smell Oil Burning at stoplights - But I don't think it's the headers...

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2004, 09:04 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smell Oil Burning at stoplights - But I don't think it's the headers...

Just a quick question:

I have a '98 WS6 that I installed Jet Hot LT's and a catless Y on last year. The thing has never used a drop of oil. Just in the last couple of weeks I have begun to smell burning oil when I roll up to a stoplight and my exhaust catches up with me. I think oil is only burning when the engine has a load on it since there's no odor at idle.

I just changed the oil and the problem persists. Since I didn't have this problem last year I don't want to blame the headers. I checked the bolts and everything appears to be tight. No leaks in sight. No drips on the floor and the engine is spotless.

I'm going to buy a new PCV valve tomorrow just to see if it does anything. I'll also watch the oil consumption moving forward. Any ideas?
Old 09-11-2004, 10:36 PM
wrencher

Keep an eye on the oil level & see if it's using oil. If you smell oil, it's either leaking or goin' out the exhaust.
Old 09-11-2004, 11:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is it throwing any codes?

-Todd
Old 09-17-2004, 09:03 AM
Staging Lane

I haven't scanned it for codes although, in a couple of instances, the check engine light has been on (early this summer) then went off a day later on its own.

Well, I put a new PCV valve in tonight and the problem is still there. At each stoplight I stopped at tonight I could again definitely smell a pungent burnt oil odor coming from the exhaust. When I got home I sniff tested all around the motor and exhuast and smelled nothing. So it's definitely coming from the exhaust.

My headers do have the Pace parts installed on the EGR coming off each side of the headers (the reducers that are supposed to save your check valve or whatever that you should do with headers), in case that helps anyone in their thoughts about this.

Do I have an internal engine problem? If I contine to smell this odor should I start pulling plugs to look for fouling? May one cylinder be letting oil by?
Old 09-17-2004, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

My headers give off a smell, I'm not sure if it is oil or not though. I have heard that all headers without cats will give off a smell. Is this smell different from when you first put them on?
Old 09-17-2004, 12:08 PM
Staging Lane

Simp, I know what you're talking about - after the headers and catless Y went on I could definitely tell the exhaust smelled differently. But I figured out after awhile that this was because there were no more cats on the car. Therefore, the exhaust just smelled a little more 'gas-like' than before. But this new smell is definitely not the same old smell - it's oil.

Oh, and the car has also been dyno-tuned and has LS1 edit done to it so it's not like I'm running it around without tuning...

Quick Reply: Smell Oil Burning at stoplights - But I don't think it's the headers...