Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Internal engine gurus please step inside !

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2004, 11:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Internal engine gurus please step inside !

I finally found out the cause of the clicking in my engine . I took the pass. valve cover off and found #6 rocker extremely loose . I took it off and inspected it and it hasnt lost any bearings , so I looked at the pushrod next . It was so very slightlybent , and the only way you could tell was on a piece of glass . This surely couldn't be the culprit , so I put the pushrod back on the lifter and pushed down on it to see if I could get the lifter to budge and it wouldnt move. Usually you can get them to move very slightly . All of this checking leads me to believe the lifter is collapsed . My question is , if I take it apart and find it grenaded , then most likely it has sent metal throughout the motor . If I do find it to be this way , my best bet would be to rebuild the motor wouldnt it ? I want to repair it correctly , so I wont have to do this but one time . Any insight will be much appreciated .

Thanks guys !

Joe
Old 09-11-2004, 07:05 PM
Staging Lane

you basically answered all your ?s
Old 09-13-2004, 04:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok , Looks like the worst case senario has arrived . I also found some scoring on the cylinder wall on # 6 . The lifter must be granaded bad , as it will not come all the way out of the block . Looks like it rebuild time fellas .
Old 09-13-2004, 04:15 PM

Just because the liter doesnt push in, doesnt mean its collapsed. When the lifters are pumped up (full of oil) they will not push doen with your hand. I thought this same thing so I bought a second set of lifters and I took the old ones apart and there was nothing wrong with them.
Old 09-13-2004, 04:23 PM
TECH Addict

Your next step should be to check out your oil pan, see if there are any lifter bearing fragments in there.