Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

heads and cam?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2004, 09:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question heads and cam?

Okay i have a 98 ta a4. I am wanting to keep the stock heads and get them ported and polished and all that good stuff but im wondering what kind of power could i get from doing this and what you guys would recomend . I also want a good cam to match everything and i want around 400 to maybe 450hp n/a. Also what kinda of money would this cost to do. just any input would help and if you guys have a different route that would be better im all up for it. thanks guys for help
Old 09-11-2004, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

A good way to do it is to get a set of 5.3L truck heads that have some porting. This will raise your compression up and make really nice power without having to mill them down. The cam I have, the Futral Motorsports F11 (228/230 .581/.591 112LSA) is a really nice street cam. It has a great idle, and it is very streetable, you almost cant tell its in there when you are just trying to drive around. It also put down 401 by itself without the heads on, with heads you can easily pick up 35-45 rwhp. You can also call Allan at Futral and talk to him about your plans and he can fix you up with a good setup for what you want.
Old 09-11-2004, 10:16 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

list of current mods, emissions requirements, application, budget, RPM range, ect.

a little help here...
Old 09-12-2004, 06:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Old 09-12-2004, 12:10 PM
Staging Lane

whats so hard about answering the question lsu did.
Old 09-12-2004, 02:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 98ls1
whats so hard about answering the question lsu did.

whats so hard about giving us what jrp asked for? i'll tell you why he asked for them.

1) current mods -tells us what you already have done to the car. if you are missing some foundation(supporting mods), such as intake manifold(ls6 or FAST), lid, if you have a stall converter, et cetera. these are important as heads/cam packages need to be well supported by the motor. a stock motor does not usually work well with stage 3 heads and an extreme cam. you need to have supporting mods otherwise it will flop.

2) emissions requirements - do we have to pass smog? in cali its a bitch, limits cam choices. some states don't allow true duals. other states you roll into a shop, they check your horn and blinkers, and give you a sticker. what are your limitations/tests required? some cams will pass smog, most bigger ones won't.....

3) application/RPM range - i combined these two b/c they coincide in my mind. the rpm range you would like, will depend on your applications most of the time. if you race "a quarter mile at a time" and never street race, top end is where its at. if you're mainly street racing, then you need a wider power band. so a cam that kicks in around 3500rpms and peaks around 7000+(t-rex) is great for the quarter mile.....less great if you're spending time on the street where you may dip in revs.

4) budget - HOW MUCH CAN YOU SPEND? you can make any amount of horsepower you want, within the limits of physics, with enough money. not many of us have that luxury. do you?

i hope that helps you figure out why jrp asked those questions. he needs to make it a sticky, if you're gonna post a heads/cam question, include x,y, and z information. its necessary when suggesting components. down here in texas i sure as hell don't worry about cali emissions