Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

converter

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 10:20 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default converter

i have a 02 ws6 with a air lid and borla cat back. i was thinking of getting a converter but did not know how big. also wanted to know how hard are they on the trany. any info will help.
Old 09-13-2004, 10:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

They have been telling me Yank SS3800 but it is so damned expensive. The TCI is cheaper but I have heard from so many people "dont get a TCI, get a yank!"

I think they are ok on your tranny as long as you have a cooler and deep oil pan
Old 09-13-2004, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude do a search before you buy anything, I have had tci in both my f bodies with no problems, TCI has great customer service just ask around, as for yank they seem to make to many excuse about something failing in there converters, its always the tranny that seems to cause there converters to break, from what I read.. TCI hands down for the money is the way to go , get yourself a TCI 3500 and you will be more than happy, Thats just my opinion ..............
Old 09-13-2004, 11:59 AM
Teching In

I wouldn't get anything less than 3200. I started with the YANK 3200stl, Good converter for the street. I switch to the VIG3200 alittle looser but I like it.. I wouldn't be afraid of the TCI3500, It been proven to be a good choice. For you trans just get a good cooler & your done. My trans has 67000miles (knock on wood) still working fine.
Old 09-13-2004, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

vig3200, tci3500, yank is really good, but $$

J
Old 09-13-2004, 11:25 PM
10 Second Club

I Love the TCI SSF3500, I wouldn't recommend anything smaller. Great mod and great bang for the buck!
Old 09-14-2004, 09:30 PM
On The Tree

let me just give you another point of view. I wanted better acceleration off the line and wanted 3.42 gears. I read on here that a Torque converter would give me a better bang for the buck and make me forget all about gears. I had the converter put on in June and I never got used to it. My car is a daily driver and I never race the car. The converter was a 3400 stall Midwest. It made the daily driveability of the car almost unbearable, I hate the converter. If you plan on racing the car then a converter is probably the way to go. If you are pretty much a daily driver, I would suggest driving a friend's car with a high stall converter before deciding. I wish I did.
Old 09-14-2004, 09:57 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by bucklwi1
let me just give you another point of view. I wanted better acceleration off the line and wanted 3.42 gears. I read on here that a Torque converter would give me a better bang for the buck and make me forget all about gears. I had the converter put on in June and I never got used to it. My car is a daily driver and I never race the car. The converter was a 3400 stall Midwest. It made the daily driveability of the car almost unbearable, I hate the converter. If you plan on racing the car then a converter is probably the way to go. If you are pretty much a daily driver, I would suggest driving a friend's car with a high stall converter before deciding. I wish I did.
I went with 3.42 gears first for the same reason; I was mainly interested in better around-town responsiveness. I was satisfied with the upgrade. I'm also planning on a converter, but am being cautious for the same reason - I want to improve driveability, not make it worse. I drove a guy's car with a Yank ST3500, and it felt great. But I know that all the slippage up and down the rpm scale in on/off throttle situations in traffic would become really tiresome after awhile. From videos of the TCI SSF3500, it would seem about the same. My research indicates the TCI SF3000 and the Yank SS3600 get the highest driveability ratings from owners.