Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Paddle kit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 01:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Paddle kit?

Anyone else have 4.10 gears installed with a Zexel posi and now install a paddle kit? That is my dilema right now. Shop I have it at, (4.10's are blown) say they have to grind/cut my gears out seeing the paddle kit was never installed when the 4.10's were put in. I've heard the term floating around, but never have really seen it mentioned on here concerning gear install.
Old 09-13-2004, 01:15 PM
Staging Lane

You do need to either grind some of the inner edge of the ring gear teeth and/or the edge of the paddle to INSTALL the paddle. The question I have is you say the 4.10 gears were already in there and now they cant get the paddle out?? Who installed the gears before? and how were they able to put the paddle in?? I had to grind mine (3.73's gears) a little bit to get the paddle in but if it went in it will also come out. See what I'm saying??
Old 09-13-2004, 02:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My guess is that the installer just pounded the paddle right in. If thats the case, then you will have to grind down three or four teeth on the ring gear in order for the paddle to slide out. It wont matter since the gears are shot anyway. When you replace the gears, you should modify the existing paddle to clear the gears. If you mill or grind ~.200" down and about 3/8 in from the edge (the side with the paddle retainer bolt hole) you should be able to slide it in, and it should offer plenty of surface to mate against the gears in the torsen unit. I just experienced this last night.

-T
Old 09-13-2004, 04:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had a GM tech install the 4.10's the first time. I assume he just pounded them in. Gonna do it the right way this time and just purchase a paddle kit for the new install.
Old 09-14-2004, 10:29 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You mean a bigger hammer isn't the right way ???
Old 09-14-2004, 10:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gregg 00SS - I dont really thing you need spend $180 on the paddle kit. You seriously can grind it down with an angle grinder or maybe even a dremel. I milled it and it worked quite well. Took maybe 5 minutes to set up the vice, find a carbide endmill and mill it out.

jimmyblue - This may be the first time ever that the bigger hammer isnt the magic cure-all. Im a big fan of things that respond to "Percussive Maintenance".
Old 09-14-2004, 10:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've ground paddles on 4.10 installs. Works fine. Save the money.