Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any software available to calculate PtoV clearance?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 08:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any software available to calculate PtoV clearance?

All i've been able to find is this attached file off a ford site... can't recall where. I tried using it, but I'm not quite sure of some the values for an ls1. If the correct values were used, do these calculations seem accurate? If not, anyone else have anything that'll calculate PtoV clearance?
Attached Files
File Type: zip
camspec-V2.zip (9.9 KB, 38 views)
Old 09-13-2004, 08:20 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

correctly measuring with the proper tools > software.

output is only as good as the input, and if you dont know it you'll never get an accurate value.
Old 09-13-2004, 08:43 PM
Teching In

I agree, but it wouldn't be economical to order every cam you were considering, put them all in, check PtoV on each, then decide which one you want. Software would narrow down your choices greatly.... That's where I'm getting at. I also believe that good math would be very accurate, but like you said, proper input is key. Which was one of the things I was asking for in my original post.
Old 09-15-2004, 05:16 PM
Teching In

Ttt...
Old 09-16-2004, 09:19 AM
TECH Resident

Is the motor assembled in the car? The easiest way to tell on an assembled motor is to put the cylinder you want to check it tdc, pop off the spring and slide the valve down measuring the distance with a mic. Keep in mind this will only give you max lift capability, if it comes out shorter then you need, then you will need to tear the head off and check with clay. Software wouldn't be accurate in an assembled application because of machining tolerances between pistons heads, deck height and so on. Good luck.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The proper way to check p-v clearance is to have cam installed and rotate engine 360 degrees and check clearance with clay.You could have p-v issues after or before tdc.
Old 09-16-2004, 11:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was bored cause I just got my wisdom teeth pulled so I can't do anything. Anyway, I just threw this together in about an hour so it might work, might not.

I used the stock ls1 bottom end and TR's old man cam, but you can put in whatever you want. The yellow cells are what you input and the grey ones are calculated. Let me know if you find any errors. I just took the cam specs right off a cam card.

Oh yeah, and like they said, this is just for ***** and giggles, definately check it with clay before you go starting it up.
Attached Files
File Type: zip
PtoV.zip (8.4 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by P Mack; 09-16-2004 at 05:04 PM.
Old 09-16-2004, 05:16 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the spreadsheet, My only question is, what is the angles input referring to? Degrees of crank rotation?
Old 09-16-2004, 05:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes the angles are all degrees of crank rotation after top dead center. I got all the angles off the cam card below. For example in cell D35 it says -18.6 degrees. I got that from the cam card where it says the intake valve is open .006" at 18.6 degrees before top dead center. Also the cam card says the intake is .006" from closing at 66 degrees after bottom dead center. That is the same as 246 degrees after top dead center. Let me know if that makes sense.

Also one thing you might have to change is the valve drop. By that I mean if you were to take a head and put it on a flat table with no gasket, how far would the valve move before hitting the table. I just made up a number for the spreadsheet cause i have no idea what it really is.
Attached Thumbnails Any software available to calculate PtoV clearance?-cam-card.jpg