Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question to true dual owners.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 03:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question to true dual owners.

I got my TSP true duals on Friday, and the ground clearance is not the greatest in the world. My exhaust scrapes on speedbumps and on entering and exiting certain driveways. I don't particularly care that my exhaust is all scraped up, but I don't want to either have my exhaust torn off or have it damage my heads because of the stress on the headers (I don't know if that is possible, but I assume it is because stress on the bolts in aluminium seems like it could strip them).

So, what I am asking is if there are any horror stories of tearing exhausts off on bad sections of road or anything. I am kind of wishing that I would have gotten a custom 2.5" true dual now.
Old 09-14-2004, 03:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who installed the duals? There may be extra groud clearance to be found.
That being said, there really isn't ever going to be a lot of clearance, these cars arne't made to have dual 3" pipes running under them. I have scraped mine quite a few times in diff situations, and on different things, and have not had any problems at all yet. (speed inc 3" duals) Also dont remember ever reading any horror stories either.
Even the huge speedbumps in my apartment complex are cleared if I go slow enough and rmember not to hit the brake as I come down the far side (it seems to shift weight forward and drive the front end down just enough to scrap something)
Old 09-14-2004, 03:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

I wouldn't worry too much about it, but your have to be first to complain about the ground clearance on a TSP dual system. Atleast as far as I have seen. For a 3" system, it recieves alot of repsect as far as clearance goes. My advice is hit every bump, rise or whatever at an angle, one tire at a time. As far as it ripping off, or what not, I would have to say you personally would have to do something not too intelligent, such as hitting speed bumps, or rises at rediculous speeds. Good luck, sorry I can't help much more.
Old 09-14-2004, 03:52 PM
Teching In

I figured that I might just be being paranoid. Also, I should probably take my exhaust to a competent muffler shop, and they may be able to get more ground clearance. I had it welded up at a local place, and the retards did not weld it to the header, even though I specifically asked them to, which caused it to come loose and fall off. It's welded on there now. Maybe I'll take it to somewhere good next time to see what they can do. Maybe they can sqeeze out another couple of tenths of an inch.
Old 09-14-2004, 03:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welded to the header, huh? I hope that you don't want to take your exhaust off for any reason. It won't be as easy now as if it had been clamped.
Old 09-14-2004, 04:02 PM
11 Second Club

I have duals and my car is low. Folks with 3" y pipes have the same clearance problems. As long as you dont hit anything goin rael fast it will be fine.

Brad
Old 09-14-2004, 04:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
Welded to the header, huh? I hope that you don't want to take your exhaust off for any reason. It won't be as easy now as if it had been clamped.
Yeah, I know it will make it much more difficult to take my exhaust off, and when I do I'll probably take it somewhere and have a flange welded on so I can bolt it onto the header. This is what I originally asked the shop to do, but they decided to just set one pipe inside the other, and I didn't see this until I picked my car and and started driving down the road and it fell off. I wasn't very happy about that. I wired my exhaust to my frame and took it back the next day before work and told them what had happened, and they said it wasn't possible to weld a flange on (I don't see why, but they had also told me it was impossible to exand the exhaust out the back under the axle, even though it is obvious that this is very possible). So i told them just to weld it on so I could get to work, as I was going to be late.

Oh well. I guess I just picked the wrong exhaust shop.

I'll just take it inot a reliable exhaust shop when I get the chance and see what they can do.