Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vette Modding VS. F-body

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 05:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vette Modding VS. F-body

I don't know if this is a repeatedly asked question or not.(hopefully not, or jrp is probably gonna be the first one to reply), but I was just wondering if I was initially planning to buy an F-body, and I instead bought a C5. how would the modding pattern differ? considering I was planning on a heads and cam Fbody. would I end up modding the same exact things bolt-on-wise and rear end etc..or does modding a vette involve a different path? Thanks a lot in advance and I hope I am not beating on a dead horse!

Also: would I have any regrets if i got a C5 instead?
Old 09-14-2004, 05:37 PM
On The Tree

I think I might have posted this in the wrong forum...Maybe I should have posted it in the Enthusiast section???
Old 09-14-2004, 05:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hmm c5's handle better. They look pimp too. F-bodies are cheaper to buy. Cheaper to mod. Its really a preference thing. F-bodies are a little easier to work on in some ways, C-5's in others. And yes....it should be in the Enthusiast section
Old 09-15-2004, 09:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've done both....lobar tends to cost 25-50% more for the vette at most speed shops. In the Corvette world we just write it off into the "vette tax" catagory!

Also a moded C5 makes most people just stop and stare in the street at the loping vette and at how bad *** it is to take a car like that and send the resale value right through the basement all in the name of SPEED. I've never had SO MANY compliments from any other car.

Remember, most younger people don't have a problem with buying a moded f-body, but a typical older vette buyer will.

Last edited by Magred2001vette; 09-15-2004 at 09:29 AM.
Old 09-15-2004, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Magred2001vette
I've done both....lobar tends to cost 25-50% more for the vette at most speed shops. In the Corvette world we just write it off into the "vette tax" catagory!

Also a moded C5 makes most people just stop and stare in the street at the loping vette and at how bad *** it is to take a car like that and send the resale value right through the basement all in the name of SPEED. I've never had SO MANY compliments from any other car.

Remember, most younger people don't have a problem with buying a moded f-body, but a typical older vette buyer will.
I agree most shops charge a little more for cam and clutch installs. The heads are easy to swap on a C5 and spark plug changes are quick. I've owned a 94 Z28 as well. For me the price of a F-body vs C5 was not much of a change but the F-body plan also included many suspension/brake mods as I am more into the handling end of it.

Also people do stop and notice a camming Corvette
Old 09-15-2004, 01:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The top of the motor is a lot easier to work around in the vette. Cams take more time to install because you have to remove a few more things (M6 harder than A4). Also the output shafts on the rear are a weak link and changing gears will cost you more because you can't just buy gears, and that is a pain. C5's are bad ***. If I had a bit more money to put into the initial cost and mods I'd do a C5 over my Z.
Old 09-15-2004, 01:31 PM
Launching!

Don't forget C5s are lighter. I expect my FRC to be <3100lbs with Z06 mufflers & wheels, and full catless exhaust. Maybe with a lighter battery, clutch, pulley, !Air, and a better driver's seat (the stock one sucks for lateral support) it could get <3000?
Old 09-15-2004, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah the Vette Tax will kill you. Heads and Cam are universal. Header will run between 1300-1600 w/o cats and 1500-2000 with cats. Exhaust another 6-700 and gears with heavy duty shafts 1500. They are really easy to work on though. My Friend and i can do a head & cam Swap in 6 hours start to finish with 2 sets of air tools and some mechanics gloves.

If you want a Drag Car build an F-Body if you want to roadrace/autocross/topend race/cruise build a c-5