Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Step Inside and Help me with My Rear!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 06:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Angry Step Inside and Help me with My Rear!

The gears in my 2K TA were changed out for SLP 3.73's earlier this season by one of the reputable sponsors. From the beginning there was gear whine, which, when I questioned this, I was told that is normal when you go to a deeper gear and that mine was one of the quietest he had done.

Now the whine is getting worse and I feel a vibration coming from the rear. Also, I had the car on a lift today and noticed something curious - with the car in neutral I could turn the PS rear wheel by hand but the DS rear wheel was locked as if solid and could not be turned by hand. When I drive there doesn't seem to be any resistance though?

1st off, I just don't go for this 'gear whine is normal' BS It didn't whine at all with the 3.23's and I bought gears that were cut just as GM's so as to eliminate any noise. I have owned many musclecars over the years and still have a 69 Olds 442. The rear in the Olds is 3.90 and it has NEVER made a lick of noise no matter how I abuse it (nor has the 68 Camaro, 70 Dodge Dart, 68 Vette, or the GTX. Is there just no one out there that can set up a rear properly?

With every other car I owned with posi; both wheels would turn when the car was off the ground. My car has the factory Zexel Torsen - is there something about this rear that makes the condition of the one wheel being locked solid normal? Or is it ready to give up the ghost?

BTW, this car has never seen the track and I have put a whopping couple hundred miles on the new gears.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated...

TIA,
-Jay-