Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold Air FlowPac = Bad MPG ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 10:19 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cold Air FlowPac = Bad MPG ???

Cold-Air Package, 1998-99 V8 Camaro/Firebird "FloPac"

I installed this on my 1998 Trans Am Convertible this weekend. It sounds throatier and seems to run great. No funny smells in the exhaust, but my mpg is really horrible. The tank before, I got about 18mpg running mostly to and from work and around town. I put the Cold Air on this weekend, and have run almost a half a tank through but only put on about 75-80m, which is about 10-12mpg ...

I am pretty new to the trans am, having driven a toyota rav4 for the past 8 years. When I put the cold air on the rav4, I had to disconnect the battery to get the computer to "reprogram" itself. Is there a similar procedure on the LS1 engines?

Thanks in Advance for any help!
RobT
Old 09-15-2004, 10:24 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by robtest
Cold-Air Package, 1998-99 V8 Camaro/Firebird "FloPac"

I installed this on my 1998 Trans Am Convertible this weekend. It sounds throatier and seems to run great. No funny smells in the exhaust, but my mpg is really horrible. The tank before, I got about 18mpg running mostly to and from work and around town. I put the Cold Air on this weekend, and have run almost a half a tank through but only put on about 75-80m, which is about 10-12mpg ...

I am pretty new to the trans am, having driven a toyota rav4 for the past 8 years. When I put the cold air on the rav4, I had to disconnect the battery to get the computer to "reprogram" itself. Is there a similar procedure on the LS1 engines?

RobT
I am not sure, I do not have that package. Yet, you should give it a little more time to try and relearn itself. Put some more miles on it.

Doesn't sound right though.
Old 09-15-2004, 10:45 AM
TECH Resident

If anything it should keep it the same MPG or improve it, not worsen it. Give your car a little time, it should go back to normal.
Old 09-15-2004, 10:54 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 16nrollininaws6
If anything it should keep it the same MPG or improve it, not worsen it. Give your car a little time, it should go back to normal.

Two other factors I should mention. I am running questionable gas through it, as I tried the new Indian owned Citgo that opened up. I normally run premium from QuickTrip, which has been very consistant in my Rav4 for years.

Secondly, I have been a little "rompy" on the gas pedal too, but did not expect quite this dramatic an effect...
Old 09-15-2004, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Two other factors I should mention. I am running questionable gas through it, as I tried the new Indian owned Citgo that opened up. I normally run premium from QuickTrip, which has been very consistant in my Rav4 for years.

Secondly, I have been a little "rompy" on the gas pedal too, but did not expect quite this dramatic an effect...
I think you answered your own question

I have the CAI and the Lid, my MGP is 18. in the city for an M6.

-Todd
Old 09-15-2004, 07:27 PM
Staging Lane

RobT
When I bought my SLP air lid, it said to disconect the battery when you install it, and plug it back in so that the computer can reprogram itself, as you said. Also, always run good gas, I learned that too, so I run either Exxon premium, or BP or Shell premium. Only the best to your T/A