Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Build help

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 10:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 Build help

I hate to ask general questions but I want to gather all opinions before I begin to get cracking on my engine. I recently purchased a LS1 out of a Corvette 6-speed, not the Z06. The engine has 9,000 miles on it, and looks great. I own a 1999 Camaro SS with a LS1 I will be driving of course while I build this engine before I drop it in my car. Now the questions....

I live in Colorado, so I want to get a turbo, I was thinking JL because the banks twin turbo kits I do not believe work on the LS1, and Incon is impossible to find. What should I do to my engine to make any turbo last?
Also, any additional ideas for turbos would be nice. [I know this isn't the FI forum]

I was thinking of the T-rex cam and Patroit heads. What do you think? How do these respond to normal engines and what additional parts should I buy to surport a cam of this size?

What other parts should I buy while I'm at this project? LS6 oil pump, additional internals, strokers, anything you can think of or have done that you like the results of.

I do not want to spend a ton of money, but I will be going to be able to spend a fair amount. Please I would like more then one opinion. I apologize again how general this question is.

Also. I would like this to be a daily driver, or weekend warrior but nothing strickly track, gas mileage is not a factor though.
Old 09-15-2004, 10:51 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DanSSull
I hate to ask general questions but I want to gather all opinions before I begin to get cracking on my engine. I recently purchased a LS1 out of a Corvette 6-speed, not the Z06. The engine has 9,000 miles on it, and looks great. I own a 1999 Camaro SS with a LS1 I will be driving of course while I build this engine before I drop it in my car. Now the questions....

I live in Colorado, so I want to get a turbo, I was thinking JL because the banks twin turbo kits I do not believe work on the LS1, and Incon is impossible to find. What should I do to my engine to make any turbo last?
Also, any additional ideas for turbos would be nice. [I know this isn't the FI forum]

I was thinking of the T-rex cam and Patroit heads. What do you think? How do these respond to normal engines and what additional parts should I buy to surport a cam of this size?

What other parts should I buy while I'm at this project? LS6 oil pump, additional internals, strokers, anything you can think of or have done that you like the results of.

I do not want to spend a ton of money, but I will be going to be able to spend a fair amount. Please I would like more then one opinion. I apologize again how general this question is.

Also. I would like this to be a daily driver, or weekend warrior but nothing strickly track, gas mileage is not a factor though.
if your going to do a turbo setup i'd sell use the engine you just bought and pick up an APE forged 347 while, there having there sale. you cant beat that. as far as heads you can pick up some TEA, AS, MTI low compression 6.0 heads. toss the trex, its a terrible turbo cam. turbo cams are usually reverse split and a wide lsa. something like 230/224 116lsa. you'll need a full fuel system to support the turbo, and rear end to handle the power.
Old 09-16-2004, 12:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First and foremost, make sure you have the fuel system to support it.

A good set of rods and pistons will go along way, stick w/ the stock crank. I ain't broken one yet, but I'm sure as hell trying.

You don't need super bad *** heads, unless you're going full out. A nice set of stage one heads will work in most cases.

As for cam, something in the mid 200 duration, probably mid 500 to 600 lift. Call Futral, they can get you a nice turbo cam

Could go bigger, but all depends on how much power your after.

How far up the mountain are you? You'll be able to make up for the altitude w/ the turbo, but watch the cooling. Thin air just can't reject the heat as well.

Got any HP goals/targets?

As for a turbo system, at this point a single is the most available in kit form.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That motor is too good to mess up,get a 6.0 iron block as you can bore it up to .030 use stock crank(its a little stronger then ls1)get forged rods and pistons and turbo rings.The 317 truck heads flow well and have bigger chambers to lower CR.Just do a clean-up on the ports as well as good valves and valve job.Get a turbo specific cam!!!!!!Get strong valve springs and strong pushrods as the boost puts a load on these parts.Get your heads before you get your pistons as this will determine how much cc dish you need to get the proper CR.ARP head studs and good head gaskets are a must.Check the post in the FI section as there is a lot of good info for your build-up.