Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got Problems!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2004, 10:35 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Got Problems!!!

Well I had a problem with some valve seals a few weeks ago, so I pull the springs off and replace 5 seals that were bad (all exhaust). It fixed the smoking problem I had and the car ran fine. Then about a week ago I noticed (while get on it) it pull clean through first gear, shifted into second it seem to miss alittle. The next day I went for a ride just to check it out again and it seemed fine. So last weekend I took it up to Frankenmuth (big car show) and it chugged and shook all the way up and back. SES light came on. Got home I pulled the plugs (were carboned up pretty bad) and put new ones in. Atap it (I'm a beginner with an atap) and got H0300 code (random misfire). So I hit the search menu and got a few ideas. I tried squirting water on the header and found that #5 and #7 header tube were just warm. Tried switching coil pack sides, that didn't help. So I went and bought new plug wires hoping it would help. Nothing. I've pulled the valve covers off and everything looks OK.
Oh, One more thing, it smells stinky rich and the #5 plug was black and wet the last time I pulled it out.

Any ideas? I sure hate to have to take it somewhere. Just when the cool weather gets here.

Thanks
Old 09-18-2004, 07:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are all the springs ok? If so, are you sure you don't have any bent valves?
Old 09-18-2004, 07:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Assuming it was running fine before you changed the seals it must be something with the #5 & # 7 coil packs. Did you only remove the coil packs and valve covers?
Old 09-18-2004, 10:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey thanks for responding,

Other that the car smoking because of the valve seals the car had ran great. After it started acting up I did pull the coil packs and valve cover off just to make sure the springs looked OK. I didn't pull the rockers off. I really thought it was probably electrical. Are these symtoms of bend valves/pushrods? Has anyone had coil packs fail? Tomorrow I'll swap around some of the coil packs and see if I can get any spark.