Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 Z28 SES woes

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2004, 12:58 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

Location: the land where cars repeatedly hit my bumper when I'm in the store...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 98 Z28 SES woes

Hey all,

I bought a 98 Z28 about 4 months ago. she runs like a friggin dream, but about two days ago, my SES came on, steady, not blinking, and has remained on. I thought maybe some of my fluids needed changing or were low, so I changed pretty much everything in there, but the light remains on. I have yet to understand why.

I have noticed a significant loss in power / torque, and the engine itself is making a kind of strange metallic noise. Sounds like a high pitched intermittent whine. like when you put a playing card into a bike rim, its that same tap tap tap tap but its very metallic, and not like an actual tap. I dunno... I mean its not pronounced or loud by any means, but to my semi-trained ear it sounds a teeny bit off. Does anyone know anything about this?

As I understood 98 was a kind of crappy year for OBD and also the transmission, and am wondering if anything could be the problem there. The transmission also felt remarkably hot when I had her up on the lift yesterday, but the fluid level is fine, albeit a bit dark.

anyway I called a GM dealer near me but they havent called me back so any info you guys could toss me in the meantime would be awesome. thanks!
Old 09-18-2004, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

take it to auto zone and get it scanned, come back with the code.
Old 09-18-2004, 01:10 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

awesome will do.
Old 09-18-2004, 01:33 PM
Launching!

Needle bearings in the rockers. The 98's had issues with those. Course, if you changed the oil and didnt see any material on the plug, it probably isnt those. Just a thought though.
Old 09-19-2004, 09:17 AM
RIP April 14, 2008

hey again

went to autoZ. got computered, and she said I came up with error P1416 and called it a port air circuit malfunction. No idea what this is but it sounds expensive. also said that it was TWO things that tripped the SES light. She recommended that I take it over to midas (which normally would not do...) and have her buddy check it out.

any ideas?
Old 09-19-2004, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok bud. Get yourself a Firebird GM service manual set..not a haynes or chiltons...so you can fix this easy stuff yourself. I dont have a scanner but maybe someone can scan the pages for you (6-1706 thru 6-1708).

If that is the only code (which I find hard to believe) it looks like your air pump circuit is manlfunctioning. That is a small electric air pump in the left (drivers) front of the car that blows air into the exhaust for emissions at start up only. There are two check valves you cant miss coming out of the top of each exhaust manifold..they are connected by a rubber tube and come around the left back of the motor (behind the master cylinder) down the fender and then into the pump (hidden) at the front of the car under the headlight. Manual says 1415 or 1416 will set depending on which bank has issues. I would gues 1416 is passenger side. That check valve coming out of the manifold is probably bad (stuck open) and/or your air pump may be ruined if so. You can buy those at the dealer..find one that wont rip you off...or at advanced/autozone. Get the service manual www.helms.com and fix it yourself I say. Holler if you need any more advice.

That air pump may be stuck on..causing the noise. You can pull the fuse and see what that does. You will still need to replace the valve if its stuck open.

I have a 98 too. All years had issues. I would change the O2 sensors if I was you. they are due. Are you sure there are no other codes?
Old 09-20-2004, 06:57 AM
RIP April 14, 2008

damn thanks sam98. Yes that's the only code coming up, and I looked into it on some other sites, to see if I could find anymore 411, to no avail. but that's okay I am going to try out looking around for it today, see if I can find it and check it. do you know if there are any visual anomalies to indicate if it's stuck open, also do you know what fuse i can try and pull?
Old 09-20-2004, 08:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think there is an air pump fuse in one of the two fuse panels under the hood by the drivers head light. It should be marked.

take the valve off and shake it..see if it is stuck...may need air to blow through.
there are alot of good ls1 shops down your way too I think. post in the eastern section for help.