Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

At a dead end, Need help or suggestions.(Long)

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 10:15 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default At a dead end, Need help or suggestions.(Long)

I'll start of with what was done to the car when the problem started.

M6(39000miles) w/ Slp- Lid&Maf, Fernco, 160stat, Slp Y-pipe, Bullet dumped, DiabloSport Predator, and B&m Ripper, everything else is stock, but apperance.

Now the problem. I start the car cold in the morning. It will idle around 1100rpm. When I give it some gas it will go straight to 3600rpm and sit there. If I put it in gear it will go on its own. No input from the throttle. If I'm going say 30mph in fourth gear(it is still slowly accelerating on its own, but at 1500rpm). I can push the clutch in and it will jump to 3600rpm. It will stay there until I come to a complete stop for more than 10sec or so. In that time it steps down in stages kind of(3600, 3400, 3000, 2700, etc.. till 800rpm) As soon as I give it gas again the whole thing will start over. Now if I have driven it for 15min or more it is still doing it, but I can turn it off for about 10sec. Turn it back on. Then everything is fine. Idles at 800rpm. Doesn't go on its own. Drops rpm fast if clutch is pushed in. Till the next morning when I start it cold.

What I have checked. I have found no vacuum leaks. Detune DiabloSport. Put stock Maf and bellow back on. Battery was dieing(2 1/2yrs old), put in Optima red top. Replaced IAC. Checked TP sensor(ok). Checked throttle linkage(no sticking). Tech 2 can command idle up with IAC, but not down(counts at 0). If I turn car off I can see the IAC reseting its self.

The problem is still there and I'm stuck. Any suggeestion would be greatly appreciated.

J. Sullivan

Last edited by '02blackz28; 09-19-2004 at 10:17 AM. Reason: To Suscribe
Old 09-20-2004, 07:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off, pull the lid and look at the throttle body - is it closed? If it is, turn your key on, but don't start it. On your throttle position sensor, meter how much voltage there is on the blue wire (you'll have to strip some of the wire to do this). It should be around .5 VDC. If it is a lot higher, then your TPS is either bad, or the throttle is opened up a little. That's where I would start.