Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where are the fluids going??

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 12:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where are the fluids going??

Just got done changing my oil, and I was down about a quart after 4,000 miles of driving. I use the Mobil One Synthetic 10W-30, have since I bought the car. This seems to be par for the course for me....it seems that since I bought the car 3 years ago it drinks about a quart of oil everytime I change it. Should I be worried about this, or should I just consider it part of having a car with about 90K on the clock?? Also, I checked the clutch fluid and that was just about all gone....so I topped off the resovoir with DOT-3 brake fluid...is that something to be worried about as well. Car runs great and the clutch feels fine. There's about 40K on the current clutch BTW.
Old 09-19-2004, 01:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A quart per oil change is pretty normal for these cars.

About the clutch fluid, the level in mine has stayed the same forever.
Old 09-19-2004, 01:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do you know that you were down a quart? Did you check that right after you changed the oil? You may not be letting it settle when you first check it.

Originally Posted by ZeeQuick
Should I be worried about this, or should I just consider it part of having a car with about 90K on the clock
Mine has 94k and I do not have these symptoms :þ
Old 09-19-2004, 01:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I check it periodically. I know that I put 5.5 quarts in when I change it....and then I check it about every week or so. It stays full for about a month, and then gradually goes down about a quart. This is honestly the first time I've checked my clutch fluid in forever...maybe when they did my clutch about two years ago they didn't fill the fluid correctly...who knows, but the resovoir was pretty empty.