Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

How much vibration is allowable?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Default How much vibration is allowable?

Well after mentioning my vibration issues in this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axles/216408-changed-d-s-now-vibration.html I rotated the d/s 180 degrees and re-installed it. Well the vibration seems slightly less, but its definitely still there. Starts to get really noticeable around 80, especially with the clutch disengaged and coasting. Now, the car's not a daily driver anymore, and even when I drive it its seldom above 80. But I'm worried if it vibrates at 80, when I go to the track and cross the traps at 115ish, its going to be alot wores - unless 80mph just happens to hit the natural frequency and it smooths out after. Going to try to find a d/s shop to test the balance this week.

So I'm wondering how much vibration is acceptable? Is it going to cause driveline problems, such as chewing up the pinion or something?
Old 09-21-2004, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vibration means that something is out of tolerance. It is also creating extra drag (lost power) in the driveline by being bent by however much it is. Something will break in due time. The imbalance will become more severe as the rpms' increase (physics). Get it balanced by a quality knowledgeable shop that has experience. At it's worst, it can wind up breaking and pole vaulting through the car (cabin) and killing the occupants or scaring them real bad.

Last edited by sawedoff; 09-21-2004 at 02:31 PM.
Old 09-21-2004, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Yeah that confirmed what I thought. Haven't driven it since, and I'm taking the shaft to a shop saturday morning and see if they can balance it.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:52 PM
Under criminal investigation for fraud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You may have over tightened the u joints. This will cause a bad vibration also. If that is what happened you may need to get a new u joint. Sometimes you can loosen them up and they will still work. Give us a call we can help you through this.

Thanks