Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Absolute Speed Heads - Isky 295D Spring Broke, less than 4k miles

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 07:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Unhappy Absolute Speed Heads - Isky 295D Spring Broke, less than 4k miles

Yesterday was not a good day for the car.

My wife, son and I took the Camaro out for a ride to a local mall to do a little shopping. We were almost there and as we were pulling up to a stop light and stopped, I hear this ticking sound. We thought it was a car next to us or behind us. About 10 seconds go by and my car starts to shake.

Light turns green and I try to go, the car barly runs and wants to die, WTF...

I turn into the mall after a few hundred feet and popped the hood. Very loud ticking while idling and has a lope going on. Sounded good except for the ticking....

We did our shopping and decided to try and get the car home. The car started but was idling rough. I got the car on the road and never took the car over 1,800 RPMs and took other roads beside the highway to get home. The SES light was blinking at me the whole time on the road. Good thing I have a M6.

I pull into my driveway and shut the car off. I get the garage ready for the car start the car back up and pull it in, it stalls and now it won't start again.

I let the car cool down for a few hours and then decide to pull the valve covers. Drivers side looks fine and normal from what I can see. I pull the passenger side off and there it was on #2cyl intake, the spring is broke.

I have Absolute Speed STG 2 heads which are about 1.8 years old that have Isky 295D springs. I have just under 4,000 miles on the heads and springs. My cam is not that big, it's a: 230 230 .575 .575 114 lsa. Ever since I had my heads installed, I have ALWAYS let the car warm up before I took it out for a drive. I heard the horror storys of breaking springs that are cold.

I grabbed the top of the spring/retainer and I could move it slightly about 1/8-1/4" up and down.

I tried to call Jay at Absolute this morning but I can't leave a message since their inbox is full.

Is there anyway I can just buy 1 spring or am I f!cked and have to by a whole set of 16?

Any sponsor sell Isky 295D springs?

Here's a pic for ya:

Old 09-20-2004, 07:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had them on my old ARE heads (after the supplied springs failed). When I had them checked after about 5k miles...several were "weak"..though none broke like all the comps I tried before. I would swap them all out with something better but I did call comp at one point and was able to get one spring out of them for free before.
Old 09-20-2004, 07:37 AM
11 Second Club

Man, I'd just go ahead and buy a complete new set of springs and ditch the ISKY's. There are several quality dual spring sets out there for around $300 with everything you need.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:58 AM
Banned

I'd say either get the Patriot Golds or Comp 921's and replace them all.

The lift on you cam isn't that big.. so those should last.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:03 AM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn Bill. What did ya get maybe 50 miles since the head gasket. Your luck this year REALLY SUCKS. I believe gomers right about getting a whole set of springs. If you want ill lend ya the spare set of ET slicks i got. Ya might as well finish off the year with a new rearend
Old 09-20-2004, 09:13 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might consider pulling the head and checking for any piston slapage…

Just to make sure you didn’t whack the valve before you noticed it ticking.
Old 09-20-2004, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

That sucks Bill....I know Sean (here) is a big fan of the Iskys, so I will show him. I know you don't beat on your car hard either. We are now trying out the Manley duals that come with spring seats, retainers, and locks. Not enough time to confirm success yet though.
Old 09-20-2004, 04:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

***Update***

I just got off the phone with Rod at Isky and told him about everything. He was very surprised that it broke with my set up. He asked if I pulled it off yet and said no. He said when I do, look at the seat and check out the radius of it. He was saying to check for a few other things but I really didn't know what he was talking about since I couldn't see the seat.

He said he has heard that Thunder Racing was having a few problems awhile back and it was because the head wasn't 'set up' right and was making the springs fail way early.

He took my info and said he will get one out to me today!!!

I asked if he would want to have the old spring back with pics of the head and said sure, that way they can check into it.

Very great customer service!!! I should be up and running this weekend. Hopefully the valve is ok. It just needs to stay together 2 more months...
Old 09-23-2004, 08:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Just curious, what does everyone in here warm my car up to before driving it. I have a trex and i usually wait till about 150? Is that high? Low? Im not talkin about to beat on it because I usually shift around 2k
Old 09-23-2004, 09:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So is he saying it isnt a spring problem ? Looks like a broken spring in the pic but I may be confused.
Old 09-23-2004, 09:15 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
Just curious, what does everyone in here warm my car up to before driving it. I have a trex and i usually wait till about 150? Is that high? Low? Im not talkin about to beat on it because I usually shift around 2k

Takes about 20 minutes for the OIL to come up to temp. Water heats up alot faster.

If you keep it under 3k you will not hurt anything.

Brad
Old 09-24-2004, 12:02 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I think you should pull that head and have it inspected. If you drove that car all the way home with a broke valve spring, those seats/guides/everything is probably beat to ****....JMO

Quick Reply: Absolute Speed Heads - Isky 295D Spring Broke, less than 4k miles