Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans-Go Kit Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 10:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trans-Go Kit Question

I’m going to be purchasing a Trans-Go kit for my 2001 Camaro A4. My question is to anyone who has installed or is using this kit. In the kit description it states:
NOTE: Computer strategy change may be required before kit installation on 98 and later vehicles.
Has anyone changed their computer settings? What do they mean by this?
I have a HHP III that is not yet installed. Will this be sufficient computer strategy? Thanks for any guidance.
Old 09-20-2004, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shifts will be quickened so much by the shift-kit that torque management will feel more more pronounced than before. "Torque Management" is basically the computer retarding timing during the shift to reduce power and strain on the trans. (Ford does it by cutting fuel to half the cylinders.)

Hypertech does not alter Torque Management.
Old 09-21-2004, 05:36 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by James B.
Shifts will be quickened so much by the shift-kit that torque management will feel more more pronounced than before. "Torque Management" is basically the computer retarding timing during the shift to reduce power and strain on the trans. (Ford does it by cutting fuel to half the cylinders.)

Hypertech does not alter Torque Management.

Ok, so I would need some type of reprogramming like through LS1 Edit or is there a way around this? Is this in all cases? Thanks for the help.
Old 09-21-2004, 09:00 AM
TECH Resident

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Smile

Originally Posted by 01 B4C
Ok, so I would need some type of reprogramming like through LS1 Edit or is there a way around this? Is this in all cases? Thanks for the help.
The reason you need to disable the TM on your 01 or 02 vehicle, is that the Transgo kit itself mechanically increases the line pressure to crispen up the shifts. The PCM reads the increased line pressure, doesn't know you have the kit installed, freaks out because it thinks the transmission will blow up, and cuts the timing at the shift point to lower the pressure.

SteveC
Old 09-21-2004, 09:20 AM
11 Second Club

I have been doing alot of reading and I think I have a handle on this.
James B and Steve C, Thanks for your help.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:14 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SteveC
The reason you need to disable the TM on your 01 or 02 vehicle, is that the Transgo kit itself mechanically increases the line pressure to crispen up the shifts. The PCM reads the increased line pressure, doesn't know you have the kit installed, freaks out because it thinks the transmission will blow up, and cuts the timing at the shift point to lower the pressure.

SteveC
I have a 00 A4. I just installed that kit this past weekend. The 1-2 shifts is great and very firm but the 2-3 is not that firm only sometimes at wide open. Where do i to go to get this fixed so it will shift firm. I have the HPPIII which I reprogrammed to tell it I installed an aftermarket shift kit. I didnt see any difference at all after I reprogrammed it.

Thanks for your help
Al
Old 09-21-2004, 01:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by black00ls1
I have a 00 A4. I just installed that kit this past weekend. The 1-2 shifts is great and very firm but the 2-3 is not that firm only sometimes at wide open. Where do i to go to get this fixed so it will shift firm. I have the HPPIII which I reprogrammed to tell it I installed an aftermarket shift kit. I didnt see any difference at all after I reprogrammed it.

Thanks for your help
Al
I had a myrad of problems after my TC install coupled to my 3.73 gears, so consequently I needed a professional dyno tune. I have the Transgo kit #3 washer, along with a billet 2-4 race servo. I know the tuner manipulated my shift points, however my 2-3 and 3-4 shift is not as crisp as my 1-2.

I do not know anything about what the HPPIII does when you indicate the presence of a shift kit.

However to my novice point, it does not sound like there is anything wrong with your shifts. Alot of people complain about bouncing off the rev limiter, when their shift points are not dialed in.

SteveC
Old 09-21-2004, 03:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SteveC
I had a myrad of problems after my TC install coupled to my 3.73 gears, so consequently I needed a professional dyno tune. I have the Transgo kit #3 washer, along with a billet 2-4 race servo. I know the tuner manipulated my shift points, however my 2-3 and 3-4 shift is not as crisp as my 1-2.

I do not know anything about what the HPPIII does when you indicate the presence of a shift kit.

However to my novice point, it does not sound like there is anything wrong with your shifts. Alot of people complain about bouncing off the rev limiter, when their shift points are not dialed in.

SteveC
Mine shirt perfect before the rev limiter. They only problem if you call it a problem is the shift firmness from 2-3 thats all. I can live with I got know. I was just wondering how I can make it more firmer.

Thanks Al