Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will taking the AIR pump off harm the cat's?

Old 09-21-2004, 01:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Will taking the AIR pump off harm the cat's?

I want to take the AIR equipment off to make more room so that I may do a compression test Due to my car seem's slower than my other car did stock, I dont want to put the AIR back on because I'll be putting my headers on soon, I would like to keep all the original Exhaust in good condition in case I have to put it back on For emissions testing so I DONT WANT TO DAMAGE THE CAT'S, Like the Title says, will taking the AIR pump and AIR equipment off damage the cat's?
Old 09-21-2004, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone?
Old 09-21-2004, 07:09 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not that I'm aware of...I'm pretty sure one thing that will really kill cats is if you are running really rich, which would clog them. The AIR pump has no effect on this...all it does is help the catalytic converter light off sooner so that it starts burning up the harmful exhaust byproducts. I've been running my Kooks catted-y minus the AIR pump and haven't had any problems to speak of. IMO, they will be just fine, as long as you have your tune in line.
Old 09-22-2004, 12:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanx for the reply, That's what I thought but thought I should ask anyway.
Old 09-22-2004, 04:10 PM
TECH Addict

I have heard many times that they help prolong the life of your cats. There is no advantage to removing it. Unmeasurable amount of horsepower when it is running (very rarely), and the system only weighs a few pounds. I would say to look elsewhere for a mod.
Old 09-22-2004, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'll have to take it out soon anyway's to put in my Headers, I'm taking it out Mostly to clean up the engine compartment and for some weight savings, In my old car I was always pokeing around the engine compartment so it was good to have all that Sh*t out of the way.
Old 09-22-2004, 06:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've also heard that it will hurt the stock cats, but I can't imagine it will do too much damage if you're putting the longtubes on soon, IMO.

Search this Thread