PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding a resistor inplace of the IAT(nitrous - retard timing)

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 10:43 AM
7 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Adding a resistor inplace of the IAT(nitrous - retard timing)

I want to add a resistor in a system to retard timing while I am on the bottle. This should allow me to take advantage of normal N/A timing on the motor but when nitrous comes online it will pull 8-16 degrees of timing. My question is what other systems use the IAT. Will adding a resistor that simulates 100+ temps alter any fuel tables or base timing tables?
Phillip
Old 09-21-2004, 10:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nope shouldn't affect anything else... though you're only going to get 8-16 * removed if you have your PCM custom tuned to do so (unless vettes pull way more timing than F-Bodies)

the amount of air the MAF is going sense going in... the PCM only pulls 3* for 122+, 2* for 113 and 1 degree for 104 ... so you'll need a custom tune to pull more timing (or if you have HPT or Edit)

but other than that... doesn't look like anything should be seriously affected by tricking the IAT (Idle may suffer a little)
Old 09-21-2004, 11:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they have been doing this to the 6 cyl. for some time, but in the reverse, they use it to add timing. Looking into the "happy ****" setup. YOu will have to have your IAT tables setup like Horist said. I you wanted to be real trick you could use a relay probably to switch between the IAT sensor and your fixed resistor so that when you hit the bottle your timing will go down..
Old 09-21-2004, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are some general resistor ratings for different temps with the IAT?