View Full Version : Do I want a vette or an fbody?

generalchaos
09-21-2004, 11:04 AM
well I dont have a wealth of cash laying around but I do like the corvette over the fbodys, but the problem is the price differences are high.

other then the obvious looks and things whats really different? from what I can gather up from searching is the fbody is about 300lbs heavier, but seems to get better traction from a different rear end setup or something, they have they same hp, a lot of sites like to say the c5 is slower stock in 1/4, but if I had to guess id say a vette would out do a fbody at a course (like autocross)

im not sure which one I should look into more, vettes 20k and under have a lot of miles on them compared to the fbodys, but getting an fbody how I want is a hard thing to find.

so any thing important I should know? id rather get the faster of the two but if the differences arent to great ill probly just end up hunting for an ss/ws6 some more.

Gloveperson
09-21-2004, 12:58 PM
well I dont have a wealth of cash laying around but I do like the corvette over the fbodys, but the problem is the price differences are high.

Understatement haha.

other then the obvious looks and things whats really different? from what I can gather up from searching is the fbody is about 300lbs heavier, but seems to get better traction from a different rear end setup or something, they have they same hp, a lot of sites like to say the c5 is slower stock in 1/4, but if I had to guess id say a vette would out do a fbody at a course (like autocross)

IRS vs Live Axel gives the F-body better traction for the 1/4. Stock for stock, a Vette would kill an F-body in an Autox.

im not sure which one I should look into more, vettes 20k and under have a lot of miles on them compared to the fbodys, but getting an fbody how I want is a hard thing to find.

It will come if you look :)

so any thing important I should know? id rather get the faster of the two but if the differences arent to great ill probly just end up hunting for an ss/ws6 some more.

An LS1 is an LS1 is an LS1. If you want the fastest F-body, you don't need to get an SS or a WS6. A Z28 or a Trans-am/Forumla put out the same numbers.

-Todd

99C5JA
09-21-2004, 01:00 PM
Well there are several things to consider when choosing between a C5 and an F-body. First off the C5 is not slower in the 1/4 mile vs. a comparably modified F-body. I go drag racing with the local F-body group and mod per mod the C5 is generally .2-.4 quicker. The C5's IRS does give it a handling advantage, but soaks up a little more power vs. the solid axle on an F-body. The C5's chassis is much stiffer than the F-bodys. The overall fit and finish is much nicer than the F-body. The C5 brakes are much better than an F-bodys. The C5's weight distribution is almost perfect due to the rear mounted transmission (another handling advantage). Don't get me wrong, I owned a 96 WS6 T/A and the F-cars are great cars, but the C5 is a superior vehicle and worth the price premium. Plus now is a great time to consider a C5 since the C6 debut will cause their price to plummet over the next few years.

Gloveperson
09-21-2004, 01:02 PM
Plus now is a great time to consider a C5 since the C6 debut will cause their price to plummet over the next few years.

:werd:

-Todd

93TAWicked1
09-21-2004, 02:27 PM
I've owned 4 modded F-bodies still have the 98 Z28 and just picked up a 01 Z06.

In my mind I had the ultimate F-body. An SOM WS6 TA on Fikse's with 420rwhp and the drivetrain mods to back it up. I sold it for a vette an almost cried. If I ever find myself missing it, I drive the Z06 and forget about it :)

If I were starting from a clean slate I would look at my goals for the car. ULTIMATE Street\Race setup on a budget- I'd buy a 95 LT1 car in EXCELLENT shape for 3700-4500. Mod the hell out of it, you could do a budget forged 383 build up with a blower, then the drive train mods and still probably have less than the cost of a C5 into it.

If I was on a REAL budget but wanted a nice mildly modded street car- I'd go with a low mile 2001 TA, you could probably pick one up for about 12000 and put another 3-4k into it for cam\headers\tuning and have a NICE high 11 low 12 second driver on Nittos or better.

If I was on just a budget and the only mods are bolt ons really. I'd look for a 99 Fixed roof coupe C5. They are always six speeds and are a great value. But an intake and some headers and be done with it.

A good budget go with a 02 C5

A Z06 IS WORTH the extra money there are alot of little things so you could be like me and be poor as hell but buy the Z06 anyways and start looking for mods instead of dinner ;)

generalchaos
09-21-2004, 03:04 PM
well I know the ss/ws6 arent really much better but its just one of those things I gotta do for looks ect. Im tired of budget racers because it feels like im riding in a shit mobile, I at least want the car to be good, i dont care if its the fastest street racer around (not going to happen anyway) I still want it to be a all around nice car with a nice sound system, decent ride (I can sacrafice this quite a lot though heh) ect ect.

if I wanted real budget street racer I could do up the talon i already have, but its a POS, id much rather have a nice newer fbody or vette.

but im getting confused, got guys saying the vette is a few tenths faster (id guess from the weight but the rear end setup may cancel that out) and I got other guys saying they are a few tenths slower....

but as I look through classifieds i can find 99 ss camaro in black with 6800 miles on it for 19,500...where as I find a c5 for 20k with almost 60k on it, guess im gonna have to go with the fbody.

93TAWicked1
09-21-2004, 03:15 PM
From what you just described buy the vette you will have no regrets. I you look you can find a 98-99 with up 60K in excellent shape for 19-22k. Right now is an excellent time to buy.

Stock for stock the Vettes gets out of the hole better and usually runs better times. When you get REALLY quick a modded F-body suspension is nice, but with rear end your looking at least 3K to get that.

A vette is a nicer car it will hold its value WAY better than any f-body. Its a better performing ALL AROUND car. When I was thinking of selling my Ws6 I asked my tuner about it and he said if you have the means a vette is the only way to go. An F-body is a excellent bang for the buck but its not a vette.

BTW even with those miles I wouldn't pay 20K for a 99SS. A 40K 99 SS is worth about 11-13k if you plan on driving it at all do the math you'll loose your ass in 2 years. Vettes are always worth something, even a 76 driver will go for 6-8K

Snow Dog
09-21-2004, 08:15 PM
dont forget about insurance costs. i agree with everything else that was posted.

Gloveperson
09-21-2004, 08:17 PM
dont forget about insurance costs. i agree with everything else that was posted.

damn vette insurance costs :cry: :ripped:

-Todd

Assassin
09-21-2004, 08:57 PM

hold on a min., my 6mo. insurance on my 98Z28 for full coverage was $640 something and the vette full coverage is around $410 I was amazed that it was cheaper, I dont understand but I'm not about to complain

unless you want/need to haul people in your car get the vette!

Gloveperson
09-21-2004, 09:09 PM
hold on a min., my 6mo. insurance on my 98Z28 for full coverage was $640 something and the vette full coverage is around $410 I was amazed that it was cheaper, I dont understand but I'm not about to complain

Kids buy F-bodies. Kids get 100 mph speeding tickets. 50 year old men drive Vettes (majority :secret2: ). 50 year old men don't race. That is what you call a simple explanation lol.

-Todd

Soldiernurse
09-22-2004, 12:06 AM
Well there are several things to consider when choosing between a C5 and an F-body. First off the C5 is not slower in the 1/4 mile vs. a comparably modified F-body. I go drag racing with the local F-body group and mod per mod the C5 is generally .2-.4 quicker. The C5's IRS does give it a handling advantage, but soaks up a little more power vs. the solid axle on an F-body. The C5's chassis is much stiffer than the F-bodys. The overall fit and finish is much nicer than the F-body. The C5 brakes are much better than an F-bodys. The C5's weight distribution is almost perfect due to the rear mounted transmission (another handling advantage). Don't get me wrong, I owned a 96 WS6 T/A and the F-cars are great cars, but the C5 is a superior vehicle and worth the price premium. Plus now is a great time to consider a C5 since the C6 debut will cause their price to plummet over the next few years.
99C5JA,

You made some very valid points. It seems that some FBody owners get real defensive about comparisons to the C5. *Not anybody on this thread that I have noticed. I, too, owned an FBody; 2002 NHRA SE TransAm, M6. I enjoyed that TA, but have no regrets on the trade-in for the 2001 C5 Coupe, A4 (3.42) I have now.

BTW, in your comparisons you never mentioned the Z06 (FRC 2001 & up). The Z06 (2002 & up) has 405bhp straight from the factory, along with an upgraded suspension. I have not done any suspension mods to my C5, yet when I do all I'll need is 2004 Z06 suspension parts. My C5 handles far superior on curves compared to the TA I had.

I have done all the bolt-ons, Pro LG LT O/R Header system, G5X-3 (114) cam, and Vigilante 2800 TC with LS1 Edit that has my C5 at around 475bhp; 395.2rwhp/373.8rwtq w/OE Heads.

Good luck on your decision.

Soldiernurse
09-22-2004, 12:13 AM

Yep, when I traded in the 2002 NHRA TA for a 2001 C5 Coupe my insurance premium decreased by $214.00/6mos.

NJVetteGuy
09-22-2004, 01:36 AM
Just buy my C5 and not worry about modding for a while :nod:

Soldiernurse
09-22-2004, 05:16 AM
Just buy my C5 and not worry about modding for a while :nod:
Hey NJVetteGuy,

"'01 Corvette Coupe Auto Best ET 11.63@115.13 1.54 60' through stock manifolds, cats and pre-cats."

No bolt-ons? What tires, brand & sizes? Surely, you had some kind of DRs to get that good of a 60' time? Yea, somebody needs to buy this baby off you for sure. Damn good timeslip #'s.

Snow Dog
09-22-2004, 05:52 AM
wow, well i figured insurance would be higher based on the value of the car alone. if not then thats yet another reason to get a vette. just dont do anythign to make your insurance and everyone elses go up.

generalchaos
09-22-2004, 08:05 AM
well the insurances are based on things like average drivers, how often they are in accidents, ect. you usually dont see a vette totaled around a phone poll...

but then again im a kid, not a 50 year old man. I know the vette is better all around, and I like it for that, but the odds of me autocrossing is slim. Id really like to take racing classes and things to make my skills better but not sure if I will. And sadly in the end to 90% of people a car is judged by 1/4 only.

And theres no way theres any decent ss/ws6 around me for 11-13k, they are kind of rare so people are going to sell for high, ideally id like a tripple black M6, but doubt id find it (well I did, 02 ws6 with 80k miles for 18k LOL) and its hard for me to justify spending 20-22k on a car with 50-60k miles on it. And if things go my way....which nobody knows if they will, id get kinda heavy into the mods.

Id definately prefer the hardtop vette (limo tinted with some true dual exhaust :nod: ), and im not looking to haul people and things, id rather have 2 seats because then im not the taxi (I always am), thats what ill have a truck for, and I just like 2 seaters better, but im not sure with the cost/miles.

I suppose I need to go get some insurance quotes and look up ls1 longevity, and I definately cant afford a z06 so thats out of the question :bomb:

70T/A400
09-22-2004, 12:00 PM
I currently own both and both have their advantages and disadvantages. The WS6 Trans Am looks better and will handle great. The Corvette is a great sports car that has advantages with the lower weight. Both are GM and are import beaters.

NJVetteGuy
09-22-2004, 04:28 PM
Hey NJVetteGuy,

"'01 Corvette Coupe Auto Best ET 11.63@115.13 1.54 60' through stock manifolds, cats and pre-cats."

No bolt-ons? What tires, brand & sizes? Surely, you had some kind of DRs to get that good of a 60' time? Yea, somebody needs to buy this baby off you for sure. Damn good timeslip #'s.

I was running the CCW drag package on the car(ET Streets on rear, skinnies up front), basically the car was gears/tc/vararam/160 stat and tuning. I didn't have the cash to go heads/cam so I just picked gears/tc carefully. Fortunately, it worked in my favor :D

2000Corvette
09-22-2004, 04:46 PM
I currently own both and both have their advantages and disadvantages. The WS6 Trans Am looks better and will handle great. The Corvette is a great sports car that has advantages with the lower weight. Both are GM and are import beaters.

I have a SS and a C5 corvette and yes both are IMPORT beaters, and i love both of them.

Snow Dog
09-22-2004, 06:06 PM
actually the only rare SS/WS6 cars are the 98s and the LT1 WS6 cars. everything else is easily found. matter of fact more WS6s were built in 02 than regular TAs. so if a triple black WS6 is what you want it will not be hard to find.

heres and example. a guy i know just bought an 00 WS6 M6 with i think 50k miles for 17k. this car is very clean no swirl marks in the paint at all(which is next to impossible to do on black). and it has the optional wheels on it that look like grand am rims which ive only seen once and thats his. so keep looking and dont be afraid to travel a little ways to find what you want. be picky and dont rush into something. your not buying anything exotic.

Snow Dog
09-22-2004, 06:09 PM
actually if you want something different that youll have to hunt for get any WS6 formula. all of them are rare LT1s included. that will be hard to find, but worth it in my opinion

93TAWicked1
09-22-2004, 06:21 PM
well the insurances are based on things like average drivers, how often they are in accidents, ect. you usually dont see a vette totaled around a phone poll...

but then again im a kid, not a 50 year old man. I know the vette is better all around, and I like it for that, but the odds of me autocrossing is slim. Id really like to take racing classes and things to make my skills better but not sure if I will. And sadly in the end to 90% of people a car is judged by 1/4 only.

And theres no way theres any decent ss/ws6 around me for 11-13k, they are kind of rare so people are going to sell for high, ideally id like a tripple black M6, but doubt id find it (well I did, 02 ws6 with 80k miles for 18k LOL) and its hard for me to justify spending 20-22k on a car with 50-60k miles on it. And if things go my way....which nobody knows if they will, id get kinda heavy into the mods.

Id definately prefer the hardtop vette (limo tinted with some true dual exhaust :nod: ), and im not looking to haul people and things, id rather have 2 seats because then im not the taxi (I always am), thats what ill have a truck for, and I just like 2 seaters better, but im not sure with the cost/miles.

I suppose I need to go get some insurance quotes and look up ls1 longevity, and I definately cant afford a z06 so thats out of the question :bomb:

Dude if you look you could find a very good condition Z28 or TA for that price EASY, if you look HARD you can find a SS\WS6 for that price. I wouldn't pay more than 12k for 30k-50k mile 98 SS period. The upscale packages are basically just a hood and wheels. I've bought and sold a few of these so I'm not pulling this out my ass.

For instance a year and a half ago I bought my 01 SOM WS6 M6 with 12K miles on it from a dealer for 19500!!!

30th t/a
09-22-2004, 06:44 PM
damn im going through the same decision right now....keep the h/c 30th ws6 or get rid of it and get a 99 white frc and strap my d1sc on it? hmmmm..

93TAWicked1
09-22-2004, 07:12 PM
If you can afford the vette get the vette...If you can't it ain't like your hurtin in your current ride :) FYI a D1SC with Andy's kit will put down 500rwhp on an otherwise STOCK C5 :)

ROJO99
09-23-2004, 08:28 AM
Kids buy F-bodies. Kids get 100 mph speeding tickets. 50 year old men drive Vettes (majority :secret2: ). 50 year old men don't race. That is what you call a simple explanation lol.

-Todd

I race my Y-Body (At the track). And DR's get expensive in the 18" sizes...

generalchaos
09-23-2004, 08:40 AM
maybe around in oregon its different because within 100 miles of myself there sure isnt anything good for under 15k, and I dont want a z28.

Im sure I can find something, but im not going to go gung ho on search untill my loan is approved and I see how much cash I can spend.

If I can find a vette I like im getting that, if not an ss/ws6 will be fine.

GA_Driver
09-23-2004, 08:58 AM
damn im going through the same decision right now....keep the h/c 30th ws6 or get rid of it and get a 99 white frc and strap my d1sc on it? hmmmm..
Dude. A white FRC would be killer. You just don't see a lot of those.

Assassin
09-23-2004, 09:28 AM
buy the vette allready, I had to make that very tough decision but once you start driving the vette you will realize you made the right decision, ONLY reason not to is having to haul more than 2 people

(btw, get one w/HUD it friggen rules!!!)

generalchaos
09-23-2004, 01:07 PM
HUD is 99+ right? im looking for a 99 since some problem was fixed compared to the 97-99 ls1's if I remember whatever I read right.

and trust me I dont want to haul more then 2 people lol. (like you can really fit 4 in a fbody anyway, its a 3 seater at best)

30th t/a
09-23-2004, 06:58 PM
Dude. A white FRC would be killer. You just don't see a lot of those.

damn staright....plus my friend at work has a black 02 z06 and my other friend has a 03 black z06 so im forced to go with the next best....white.

buy the vette allready, I had to make that very tough decision but once you start driving the vette you will realize you made the right decision, ONLY reason not to is having to haul more than 2 people

i already got the rear seats outta the ws6. :)

Ling_650vette
09-23-2004, 07:08 PM
Screw haulin more than 2 people, just slows you down ;)

Kap_99C5
09-23-2004, 11:07 PM
I dunno.. I used to be in the F-Bod/Mustang thing... But having the Vette is a totally different thing. The Vette turns far more heads then an F-Bod. At the track, they are pretty even. In the twisties, it isnt even close. Build quality of the Vette is higher, C5's dont have the rattles etc that the F-bods are saddled with. The Vette will be worth a higher % of what you paid for it in 3 years and a hell of alot more in 10 years. And personally IMO I think the FRC/z06 have the sweetest lines of any GM car made since the 60's.

Soldiernurse
09-23-2004, 11:13 PM
...And personally IMO I think the FRC/z06 have the sweetest lines of any GM car made since the 60's.
...including the fugly C6 :barf: The lines are all screwed up on the new Euro C6, IMHO.

GA_Driver
09-24-2004, 08:06 AM
damn staright....plus my friend at work has a black 02 z06 and my other friend has a 03 black z06 so im forced to go with the next best....white.

get it get it get it get it :D

generalchaos
09-24-2004, 09:49 AM
Kap_99C5 you got exactly what I want to buy :hail: :drive:

Kap_99C5
09-24-2004, 10:20 AM
Kap_99C5 you got exactly what I want to buy :hail: :drive:

Just takes some looking man.. I ended up finding mine with 40k miles on it as a corporate lease return. Paint and body were immactulate and picked it up for 22.9k in San Diego (where nothing is cheap). I would venture to guess in other parts of the country could find one cheaper still. My insurance on the Vette is cheaper then my Toyota Tacoma... How f'd up is that?

generalchaos
09-24-2004, 01:54 PM
I'll keep that in mind, see if some dealer could hunt down a lease return or something as well, when the cash is in my account I can hunt like a mad man (I found my 95 5 speed awd talon for dirt cheap, and only an hour away from me within a week)

insurance for me will be kind of steep, but im younger so its expected. But like I said (not sure if I posted it here or not) maybe vette insurance is cheaper because the drivers are usually tame with them.

ROJO99
09-24-2004, 02:09 PM
I have had both and an 01 Mustang GT. For me it was easy, I wanted a Vette especially a C5. So if that is what you want, get it. Take your time and search around and be ready to jump on the good deal that WILL arise. The basic question is, which car moves you emotionally? WS6 T/A, buy it, C5 FRC, or Vert or Coupe buy it. Its only money and we live only once. I consider myself to be lucky. With only an air filter change and DR's I managed some really great runs at the track. The LS1 is a great engine...

Patman
09-24-2004, 07:16 PM
I dunno.. I used to be in the F-Bod/Mustang thing... But having the Vette is a totally different thing. The Vette turns far more heads then an F-Bod. At the track, they are pretty even. In the twisties, it isnt even close. Build quality of the Vette is higher, C5's dont have the rattles etc that the F-bods are saddled with. The Vette will be worth a higher % of what you paid for it in 3 years and a hell of alot more in 10 years.

I am definitely enjoying Vette ownership! The car turns heads for sure! I just went out to dinner and as I parked the car in front of the restaurant I had a guy come up to me and tell me what an "absolutely gorgeous car" that was. And tons of other people were checking it out the whole time it was parked there. It made me feel proud, because for the longest time I lusted after this car so badly, and never thought I was going to get one until 2008 or 2009, but with the introduction of the C6 it brought the C5 prices down into my price range. I still went over budget on buying this car, but instead of my original plan of finding a very high mileage 97, I ended up finding a super mint condition 98 with just under 32k on it. I've been driving it every single day and have put 3400 miles on it in 7 weeks! And tomorrow I'll be taking it on a 6 hour drive to race it in Michigan. I just love driving this thing so much!

It is definitely a completely different feeling driving this car. You can tell that GM did their homework on it. Mine has the base suspension on it, but even still it outhandles just about anything on the road, but yet doesn't ride harsh at all. And the braking system is incredible!

MetallicBluews6
09-24-2004, 09:10 PM
A corvette is the true american sport car icon. One of the most beautiful cars made in the world. I hava always wanted one my self. Performance wise a stock WS6 or SS can almost keep up to a stock C5. The Z06 is a totally different world which a WS6 and SS cant touch.
Considering that the SS and WS6 have become extinct you can own a part of history if you can pick up an 02 if not get an 01 due to the performance. In Chicago, suburbs or even downtown I see many more C5 corvettes than a WS6 and SS.
Beleive it or not many time the agressive styling of the WS6 attract many looks and stares. The smoother lines of the not so common SS also get many stares.
The fact of the matter is that there is a whole new Corvette out there and when you park your C5 next to a C6 you are really going to want that C6 and feel intimidated.
Now if you pick up a SS or WS6 you have a timeless car since there are no future models.
You can park your vehicle in the same lot of the c5 or c6 and glance at a unique and not so common vehicle and say wow!! I am one of a few!!

I was faced with the exact same decision.
Had the option of buying a 2000 C5 for 23,000 with 65,000 miles. Instead I went with a 2002 WS6 with 17,000 miles for 22,000 about 4 months ago.

Just my opion!

Soldiernurse
09-24-2004, 09:37 PM
The fact of the matter is that there is a whole new Corvette out there and when you park your C5 next to a C6 you are really going to want that C6 and feel intimidated.

Just my opinion!

:rolleyes:

You are kidding, right :confused: I'll gladly park my Mag Red 2001 C5 Coupe, A4 (3.42) with 395.2rwhp/373.8rwtq next to a fugly Chevron smiley faced C6, and will not feel the least bit intimidated. No, I'll never want a C6, unless the Z06 version loses the bugged eyed headlights & smiley face front, plus has 500bhp.

Patman
09-25-2004, 04:32 AM
:rolleyes:

You are kidding, right :confused: I'll gladly park my Mag Red 2001 C5 Coupe, A4 (3.42) with 395.2rwhp/373.8rwtq next to a fugly Chevron smiley faced C6, and will not feel the least bit intimidated. No, I'll never want a C6, unless the Z06 version loses the bugged eyed headlights & smiley face front, plus has 500bhp.

I agree, the C6 has an awesome drivetrain, but it's looks do nothing for me. It no longer has the Corvette look to it. From the front, all Corvettes since 1968 have looked very similar when you see them from a 1/4 mile away coming towards you. But the C6 looks like a Toyota from the front from a distance. The C5 design is perfect, the C6 is a step backwards in that regard.

Ling_650vette
09-25-2004, 12:08 PM
Everyone has their opinions on styling, and GM didnt really hit it on the head for most people, but my only real complaint w/ the C6 is the fugly V-notch rear end. I thought it was ugly on the C4s, and looks even more hideous on this car. I like the front end, and do agree the LS2 is going to be a beast of a drivetrain. They took the C5 and went in more of a lateral direction instead of forward, but they could've done a worse.

buymeavette
09-26-2004, 02:37 PM

Hey,

I have the same problem. I love the Camaros and how you can make them fast and hit them down the 1/4th in 11 seconds no problem. However a Vette can made for both street and strip in a true sense. You can go corner carving (as long as you have your front sway bar on!!) and hit the track all at once.
Really what you have to think of is what you want to do with the car. If you want to carry people in an uncomfortable way, just drive to work, or have a toy for the daily driver I say get the F-Body. However that doesn't mean a Vette wouldn't be a good daily driver, a customer I use to work for drove her 6 speed 03 in the vette and loved it. She said "it has traction control, i'll be fine."
But to me a Vette is a car you drive on nice days. Thats what I would want to do with a Vette when I get one, I want two to be honest. One has to be a vert!! They are more money, they are more for insurance, but can be made faster (initially anways) cheaper. Some guys in Z06 (top of the line I know) run low 11's with bolt ons and sticky tires, so nice #'s with a car plus under 5K or so invested.
What i plan to do is get an older Vette, most likely a 97-99 since they are hitting rock bottom prices these days. Don't be afraid to buy a plan ticket and drive your Vette home thats the way I want to do it. Would be fun and on the way home get the feel for the car on the highways of America.
I'm in school right now to be a nurse so once I get a job as one I will start to save, but I am realistic in the sense of when I can afford one. For now I will just get the C5 emblem tattoo'ed (however ya spell it) this December on my back :). Good things come to those who wait, but maybe you can buy a little toy now (Cobalt SS looks cool) or just drive a crappy car till you can get one, whatever comes first. Wait it out is what I say...

Below is a link to help you find some cheap ones with under 45K. some firehawks with equal and more likely less mileage go for close to 30K. Insurance is just a bug bit on the ass when it comes to any car, ignore it and pay it. Its well worth it to own a classic American Muscle Car!!!!!!

Erik

http://autotrader.com/findacar/results.jtmpl?model=CORV&body_style=&color=&max_mileage=45000&doors=&engine=&fuel=&drive=&transmission=&start_year=1997&end_year=1999&min_price=0&max_price=22000&distance=any&advanced=&advcd_on=y&make=CHEV&address=60185&search_type=used&x=49&y=12

99C5JA
09-27-2004, 10:40 AM
A little off topic, but I'm glad see there are others that feel the way I do about the C6's styling. I'm OK with the exposed headlamps, but the lower grill area and hood are steps backwards. The hood is boring and the smiling grill is just ugly to me. I just never get tired of the C5's curves. I still like the C6, but can't see myself trading for one.

If you are still on the fence as to which vehicle to get, go drive them. I loved my F-body, but I can't think of a single instance that I wished I had it back instead of the Vette.

grimreefer
09-27-2004, 01:11 PM
I'm in the same boat and thought if I read through this thread it would make it a little easier... :bomb:

I'm trying to decide on a third car and the C5 and F-bodies are near the top of a shrinking list now that the prices are dropping. I bought the Mach1 because my first "dream car" was the '69/'70 model, but I can also remember looking out for the Camaro's and Corvettes whenever out for a drive with the parents. Eckler's showroom was THE place to go when I was a kid :drool:

I dunno, I think I'm leaning towards the vette since I've already got the pony car... but there are some awfully good deals on the F-bods right now... This isn't easy http://home.earthlink.net/~grimreefer1/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/goodevil.gif

:lurk:

H-5-L
09-28-2004, 04:32 AM
A c6 does not intimidate me either,i don't really like the hacked rear or fixed front lights,or the carp mouth that goes all the way across the front.I tried hard to like it,but i'll just keep modding my c5,and 12 more payment my c5 is paid-off.The c6 is known to be a short run,so we'll be talking about the c7 in a couple years,another forum i moderate on,has a few c6 fuel sending unit problems already (old c5 problem).The one guy doesn't even have 400 miles yet,Check engine light,and back to the dealer.
The c5 rocks..

I had a 83 trans am for 9 years,went thru many changes,i got sick of chasing the rust around the car.
Like said above,you only live once..don't settle for something if you are temped by something else.We i go to a parking lot/cruise,thewres always tons of LS1 f-bodies and only a few vettes.And there usually modded so non of them look the same..just my observation..

If you like Angalina Joline,don't settle Brittney Spears.. :pimp: