Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ac problems! Help me out guys!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 09:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ac problems! Help me out guys!

Ok I just had a fresh motor installed in my car. The ac compressor itself has a slight leak. My main concern is when I turn the ac on, whether its at 1 click or 2, after 5 minutes the air barely comes out of the vents and I can then hear it coming out under the passenger side floorboard. When this situation occurs if I turn it all the way up to 4 clicks its even louder under the passenger side floorboard and sounds like the defroster. Anyone have any ideas on the issue?
Old 09-21-2004, 09:56 PM
wrencher

Wonder if it's freezing up. Go under the hood & see if the lines are frosting up. If you cannot see anything, when it happens turn the A/C off for a couple of minutes. Then start it back up & see if it works OK.
Old 09-22-2004, 12:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wrencher
Wonder if it's freezing up. Go under the hood & see if the lines are frosting up. If you cannot see anything, when it happens turn the A/C off for a couple of minutes. Then start it back up & see if it works OK.
Ok all that **** is frosted over in ice. What does this mean? Is there not enough freon? The compressor does leak, but how would this cause the vents not to blow out enough air?
Old 09-22-2004, 12:18 PM
TECH Regular

It will not cause the air not to come through the vents. There is a door in the air system that directs the air. I believe it is vacuum operated in the F-body. If it does not get the vacuum it needs the default is defrost and heat mode! Thus air from pass floor, and probably some to windshield. (Your symptoms)

R134A being low will not cause the evaporator to freeze. If the compresson does not kick out or there is NO AIR FLOW across the evaporator (like it sounds you have), yes it can freeze up. Check vacuum lines.
Old 09-22-2004, 12:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cstick
It will not cause the air not to come through the vents. There is a door in the air system that directs the air. I believe it is vacuum operated in the F-body. If it does not get the vacuum it needs the default is defrost and heat mode! Thus air from pass floor, and probably some to windshield. (Your symptoms)

R134A being low will not cause the evaporator to freeze. If the compresson does not kick out or there is NO AIR FLOW across the evaporator (like it sounds you have), yes it can freeze up. Check vacuum lines.

Ok thanks I will have the shop who did the work check it out. that would also explain why all the passengers in my car say they get "hot feet"