Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two dumb 4l60e questions

Old 09-23-2004, 01:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Two dumb 4l60e questions

1) I'm connecting my shifter, but it doesn't seem to be working. If I push the level as close to the front of the car (towards the engine) as possible, am I in park or 1st?

2) How do the tranny cooler lines work? Are they like the fuel rail lines where you need a special tool to remove them?

Thanks!

Terry
Old 09-23-2004, 03:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Where's the love!
Old 09-23-2004, 08:00 PM
Banned

Default hey

Yes all the way forward = Park....cooler lines are not like fule lines they have a wire clip that has to be removed, then the lines come out. Hope this helps ...Dave
Old 09-23-2004, 08:24 PM
TECH Resident

they should just be able to unthread from the cooler.
Old 09-23-2004, 08:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Forward is park.
No special tool required for tran lines.
Old 09-23-2004, 08:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

on the tranny lines just slide back the little plastic sleeve and use a small 90 degree pick to remove the little metal clip holding the lines. then just snap off the line. you can just unscrew them but it takes longer.
Old 09-23-2004, 09:01 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and watch those clips FLLLLLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!! Better try to keep em close as they are spring clips.
Old 09-24-2004, 10:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Those stock tranny lines are a real pain in the rear. And yes, those clips love to fly away when you get them loose...
Old 09-24-2004, 10:54 AM
TECH Veteran

I'm reinstalling my 4l60e (after a couple years of th350), and I lost most of the parts. Anyway I bought new tranny cooler lines, and they only include a little plastic dust cap and red plastic retainer ring. No clips!!

The dealership couldn't find the part number for the clips. Does anyone know the part number or a good substitute? It doesn't show in the catalog.

I'm also have weird shifter problems, with my shifter in park
the transmission is half way between park and reverse (doesn't click all the way forward), and will only go as far back as 2nd (won't go back to 1st). Is there a way to adjust the cable shorter or longer? The only other alternative I know is to try to make a custom cable bracket, but with all stock parts this should work. Maybe I have the wrong shift lever on there??

Thanks guys. Sorry about the lame questions, demodding is a pita!

Terry
Old 09-24-2004, 01:08 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Terry Burger
I'm reinstalling my 4l60e (after a couple years of th350), and I lost most of the parts. Anyway I bought new tranny cooler lines, and they only include a little plastic dust cap and red plastic retainer ring. No clips!!

The dealership couldn't find the part number for the clips. Does anyone know the part number or a good substitute? It doesn't show in the catalog.

the transmission is half way between park and reverse (doesn't click all the way forward), and will only go as far back as 2nd (won't go back to 1st). Is there a way to adjust the cable shorter or longer? The only other alternative I know is to try to make a custom cable bracket, but with all stock parts this should work. Maybe I have the wrong shift lever on there??

Terry
Terry,

You have a PM!

Kevin
Old 09-24-2004, 01:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Thanks again Kevin! TCI rocks!
Old 09-24-2004, 07:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Terry Burger

Terry
Why are you going back?
Old 09-25-2004, 04:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

on the cable take a real good look at it. sounds like it is cracked to me. if you have someone try and put it in park while you are underneath the car, you might find out that it will bend. if it is the stock cable, then i bet you thats what it is. this is caused by removeing the tranny crossmember before the cable. the back of the tranny will come down and crack the cable since it is still hook up.

Search this Thread