Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Good AFR 205 Results...

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 09:44 AM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Good AFR 205 Results...

For the benefit of those always inquiring about "AFR 205" results....
This guy copied my combination almost to the letter on a stock Z06 w/ only 4000 miles on the clock....obviously the shortblock is in excellent condition.

Here is a link to a thread on the CF....

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=909542

Last edited by Tony Mamo @ AFR; 09-24-2004 at 11:47 AM.
Old 09-24-2004, 10:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a bunch of damn controversy over the heads and what they are capable of putting down. If those last numbers are correct (470+whp), that is wicked. Stock cubed, less than 11:1 compression. I am impressed. But I do agree. It would be nice to have another tuner come up with the same numbers from the same setup.

Brandon
Old 09-24-2004, 10:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Well for all the sceptics, this proves that the setup can be duplicated and is not a "fluke".
Old 09-24-2004, 10:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Good thread. That #001 2001 ZO6 guy makes me laugh. I'm not saying I dislike him or anything but I don't understand why there are always individuals who want proof from a reputable tuner. Nice numbers over there though. I hope to make something close to 10RWHP of what he made.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:36 AM
Teching In

I am about to have Mike Norris do some work on my car. It is a "high mile" C5 but I would be willing to duplicate these mods and then have tune and dyno done by Mike. I can get my car to Mike as soon as all the parts are available for install.

Contact me Tony if you have any interest in this.

Last edited by John's vette; 09-24-2004 at 11:47 AM.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:44 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Cool

Good to see independent verification of this combo - especially since I just ordered it all from AFR. Now all I have to do is figure out how to make headers for a '71 Camaro that are as good as LG longtubes ...
Old 09-24-2004, 12:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 71CamaroLS1
Good to see independent verification of this combo - especially since I just ordered it all from AFR. Now all I have to do is figure out how to make headers for a '71 Camaro that are as good as LG longtubes ...
Get in touch with Stainless Works >>>> sponsor. They do all kinds of mutant swap headers.
Old 09-24-2004, 12:19 PM
Teching In

470 thats make me woundring haw much i will get mith my ls1 block
Old 09-24-2004, 12:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hi Folks
Those number are great but I would like to the results with a different configuration. Stock LS6 being replaced by AFR heads. Then compare them to a set of ported LS6 heads by GM. Then you can truly evaluate the heads. Everybody always throws in a cam, etc. Where did you get the most gain from: cam, heads, etc?
Bill
Old 09-24-2004, 02:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Those are great numbers and show the consistency of the set-up, engine combination and tuning. Great job to all, especially AFR for a great product!

Oh, that one guy that wants proof on "verifiable" dyno's and "other tuner's" - why doesn't he drive by and take a look like the owner invited him to do?
Old 09-24-2004, 03:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The old AFR SBC heads really gave me the redass when I used them, but the LS1 heads are showing good, repeatable results...maybe time to reconsider my thinking.
Old 09-24-2004, 03:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Corvette guys are silly they only know about waxing and washing their cars.
Old 09-24-2004, 03:49 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by C5Corvette
Those are great numbers and show the consistency of the set-up, engine combination and tuning. Great job to all, especially AFR for a great product!

Oh, that one guy that wants proof on "verifiable" dyno's and "other tuner's" - why doesn't he drive by and take a look like the owner invited him to do?

Isnt LAPD the same place tony test his car? Im not saying these arent great heads but I have seen more #`s in the 430hp range than 470+ numbers with these heads. Not trying to start anything here but results so far have been far from consistant. If everyone was making 470 with a 224 cam and these heads I would own them already. Im waiting for the 225 cc heads. I think the higher numbers will be more consistant then and not only coming from 2 shops .
Old 09-24-2004, 04:59 PM
Flow Wizard

Default Finally...

Originally Posted by offaxis
Isnt LAPD the same place tony test his car? Im not saying these arent great heads but I have seen more #`s in the 430hp range than 470+ numbers with these heads. Not trying to start anything here but results so far have been far from consistant. If everyone was making 470 with a 224 cam and these heads I would own them already. Im waiting for the 225 cc heads. I think the higher numbers will be more consistant then and not only coming from 2 shops .

I can't believe it took this long for the above posted "question" or observation (and it certainly has some merit)

Trust me, the number is for real....the guys @ LAPD were running around like proud papa's after rolling this car the other night. They have done a handfull of other AFR headed cars, all of them with very positive results, but NONE of them that so closely represented the exact modifications done to my car.

Also, you guys are missing a key point here. The SAME tuner that has spent MANY hours tuning my car thru all of the changes and modifications over the last three months (250 recorded dyno pulls....now thats a DYNO QUEEN!!), is a key factor in pulling the big number out of the Z06 the other night. With all the experience gathered from my AFR car and others, to tune something almost exactly identical was almost a walk in the park....(first pull with a "rough" baseline was somewhere in the mid 460's)

The right "tune" can make a really good package great....Don't discount that fact, and don't think it can be accomplished in a few hours either. "Close" might be accomplished in a few hours, wringing every last bit of power out of an engine over a 4500 RPM span takes patience and determination but the results are usually well worth the trouble...

Regards,
Tony Mamo
Old 09-24-2004, 05:04 PM
TECH Veteran

There is a big variance from one tuner to the next. I had a local tuner at a big name shop do my car and they did OK job at best. I then had FLP retune my car and it idles, better pulls smoother, and makes more power. Both are big name shops with supposidly "good" tuners but in my experience only one of them would be considered a "good" tuner.
Old 09-24-2004, 05:10 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
The right "tune" can make a really good package great....Don't discount that fact, and don't think it can be accomplished in a few hours either. "Close" might be accomplished in a few hours, wringing every last bit of power out of an engine over a 4500 RPM span takes patience and determination but the results are usually well worth the trouble...

Regards,
Tony Mamo
Tony

I agree with what you said. A great tuner can really make a difference. I have been ready to order your heads for a while now . I just dont think the 205`s will be much of an upgrade over my current stage 2 heads. Atleast not enough to justify the expense at this point. I am just sitting on my hands waiting for the 225`s to be released. I would like to see atleast a few 450+ hp cars from guys in other shops though. Im not saying these numbers arent real. It just would be nice to see it from some other dynos.I am sure there have been alot of sets installed already.

J
Old 09-24-2004, 05:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll have to jump on the inconsistant bandwagon here. It's kinda hrd to believe when the only 2 cars that have rolled this big number have come from the same place. There have been a few cars with these heads and the same set-ups with diffrent/bigger cams make more than 50rwhp less than the above mentioned cars. Even a decent tuner should be able to get the numbers of there cars in the ball park of the test car. That's the only reson I am skeptical.
Old 09-24-2004, 05:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Beast96Z
I'll have to jump on the inconsistant bandwagon here. It's kinda hrd to believe when the only 2 cars that have rolled this big number have come from the same place. There have been a few cars with these heads and the same set-ups with diffrent/bigger cams make more than 50rwhp less than the above mentioned cars. Even a decent tuner should be able to get the numbers of there cars in the ball park of the test car. That's the only reson I am skeptical.
Ok but if you read closely youll notice the one car had over 250 dyno pulls on it so obviously alot of work was put into it. Also its very similar to Tony's setup so that is why they are so similar. I dont give a crap about dyno number run them bitches at the track.
Old 09-24-2004, 06:52 PM
Teching In

I think consistency is starting to show....

Tony Mamo - 480
The Z06 - 476
McRat - 448 (no 90mm)

just my .02 worth
Old 09-24-2004, 07:32 PM
Flow Wizard

Default Skeptics!!!

Who's dyno do I have to strap my car on within 100 miles of the LA area to turn a few more of the "doubting Thomass's" into believers??

Seriously....I'm getting tired of it all. Lets all meet, have some pizza, and get it over with....Who's going to sponsor "Dyno Day" on a sunny Saturday in Southern CA??

Sounds like a good time....who elso is in??

Tony M.