Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pullin motor! from top or bottom

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 05:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default pullin motor! from top or bottom

i am pullin my motor and was thinking about pulling it from the bottom this time and just going to go ahead and put in a k-member ... what all do i have to take off to take it out through the bottom... all the stuff off the front and headers or what?? thanks for any info and tips
Old 09-24-2004, 05:34 PM
TECH Addict

I've pulled my 98 ss motor from the top, and put it back in the top. I've also done the same procedure on a 93 z28 and it was easy both times.

Just strip the motor down before you pull it, get all the cooling system and belt accessories off, then intake manifold and possibly the heads and pull the short block.

I think the short block would come out with heads on it no problem, but I've never tried this - you would probably have to at least unbolt the kmember and let it hang.

BTW : I didn't take the oil pan off the lt1, but I did have it off of the LS1
Old 09-24-2004, 05:50 PM
Teching In

My son and I just pulled out our 2000 SS motor out the bottom. It was very easy. The best part is not having to take anything off the motor, and leaving the trans attached too. Get a factory service manual (very helpfull)My thanks to Inspector12 for posting his pitcures.
Old 09-24-2004, 05:58 PM
TECH Veteran

I always pull from the top. As Term said, strip the motor down (I leave the heads on) and just lift it out (I pull with the tranny on...it's much easier to pull the tranny off the engine once it's out of the car). Some people say they can do it with the hood on but I pull the hood AND the front bumper. To me it's WAY too much risk of cracking/dinting/scratching one of them because you won't take the 10 mins to remove them.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

i dont see it possible with the hood still on, taking it out from the top
and taking off the front bumper is a good thing also, i didnt feel like doing that so i had the cherry picker on the side of the car, instead of the front
anyway, you'll save a lot of headache going the bottom route
Old 09-25-2004, 12:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I pulled the block out (minus the heads) through the top, and shoved all this back in Radiator removed of course, also helps to remove one of the motor mounts from the k-member. Just takes a little bit of patience. Another pic of the install
Old 09-25-2004, 01:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

I did it from the bottom. Remove the hoses/brake lines/steering knuckle/wire harness to passenger kick panel and start lowering it. Check things as the car is lifted up. Piece of cake.
Old 09-25-2004, 05:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just pulled/reinstalled mine..both from top, took all accessories off as well as hood. left heads,crank pulley,and tranny still attatched..even went ahead and installed the valvecovers on the stand to..good luck
Old 09-25-2004, 06:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

i already pulled it from the top and put it back in from the top with the tranny still on it and left the hood on, im getting it repainted anyways.. i dont want to have to worry about re-aligning it also and do it from the top again because i already know what to do thanks for all the info!
Old 09-25-2004, 06:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Go from the bottom, I just recently pulled mine from the bottom, and its much easier than from the top.
Old 09-25-2004, 06:50 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2001CamaroGuy
I always pull from the top. As Term said, strip the motor down (I leave the heads on) and just lift it out (I pull with the tranny on...it's much easier to pull the tranny off the engine once it's out of the car). Some people say they can do it with the hood on but I pull the hood AND the front bumper. To me it's WAY too much risk of cracking/dinting/scratching one of them because you won't take the 10 mins to remove them.

I do it with both on and have never scratched it, but I do disconnect the hood hydrolics and prop it straight up when im pulling the motor.

And disconnecting the tranny has never been a problem for me, even putting it back in with the tranny in the car is not hard, but it does take about 10 minutes to get it to mesh up correctly.
Old 09-25-2004, 07:28 PM
TECH Veteran

I have pulled them from the top complete(no acces) sans trans, hood on no problem will be doing my first out the bottom very soon.
Old 09-25-2004, 08:12 PM
On The Tree

I just pulled my out from the top. Takes some time your if you havn't done it before. Next time I think I will be able to cut my time in half. Anyway I pulled the motor and trans out seperate....when they go back in they are going in together. That tranny is heavy as hell when you are on you back.
Old 09-26-2004, 01:23 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say bottom because I've done it again and again in an one hour or so . Just did it again to go back with the forged set up. Good luck with all the abuse out the top I am talking about yourself. It is as easy as walking out the bottom. But I understand if you don't listen, but really it real easy. You would thank your self later. Good luck witch ever way you do it. As the guys mentioned before I have pictures to help you if you decide to go my way.
Old 09-26-2004, 01:25 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Oh and I have the Jeff williams service manual if you need it give me a ring and I can go over it over the phone (713)302-0737
Old 09-26-2004, 10:16 AM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

i pulled my motor out the top minus heads and acc. and i took the trans oout already

when it goes back in i am going to try and put it back in with the trans on and the heads on

just wondering ssean where you bolted the chain to when installing it and do you need a special tool to disconect the slave on the trans
Old 09-26-2004, 01:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does anyone have a writeup of this? Do you have to disconnect the air by removing the pump on the passenger side of the block? I pulled my heads yesterday/today examining if a valve smacked a piston ( broken ISKY 295D ). Fortunately it didn't, but I'm going to pull the motor anyway and have it rebuilt a 2nd time. I think I have to pull it from the top because my garage is low to begin with ( at the front where the car is pulled into ).
Old 09-26-2004, 09:55 PM
10 Second Club

If you have a lift then do it from the bottom... I have done this 4-5 times now and it is very easy. I can have motor on the ground by myself in like 2 hrs or so... and that is not really busting ars.
Old 09-27-2004, 06:20 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Jerflash, You do not need a special tool for the slave on the trans. Just use a small scew driver and push the white plastic piece in all the way around and then pull and wiggle the plunger a little it should just pop out done it a bunch of times. Dee is right about that you can take your time and still have it out in a very short time. 100% by myself with air it takes me around 1.5 hrs witha little help 1 or less sometimes. just depends on your mood a speed.
Old 09-28-2004, 08:12 PM
On The Tree

I pulled mine out the top b/c I have a 1 car garage. Someone on here a while back told me they hooked there engine hoist up to there front bumper support to lift the car high enough. With the hoist in front of the car I would have no way to get the motor out b/c the garage is narrow.