Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing Tuner Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2004, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Tuner Questions

I just hooked up my timing tuner today. i don't have the nitrous controls hooked up yet but if the tuner is left unset (as in ALL controls are left in original positions), the car won't start, cranks but won't fire. I added 1 degree of advance and it started right up. also it starts right up when i disconnect and bypass it with the jumper plug that comes with it.

1) is it supposed to not kick over with all the controls set to zero??

2) if i have the nitrous controls hooked up but i leave the N/A timing unchanged, will the motor run???? i don't want to unplug the tuner and just plug it back in when the nitrous relay is armed.

3) will the timing be retarded only when the power actually goes to open the solenoid or from the moment the power hits the relay (ie: when the system is armed with the switch.)

Last edited by DeepBlueZ; 09-27-2004 at 04:49 PM.
Old 09-27-2004, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

anyone??? cmon i know some guys on here are running the tuners.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DeepBlueZ
anyone??? cmon i know some guys on here are running the tuners.
I had problems with mine to.It cranked but wouldn't fire with everything on 0.I unhooked everything and I'm gonna call ramchargers tues. morning before I send it back
Old 09-28-2004, 10:03 PM
Launching!

Sounds like an actual problem with the box. Mine runs fine on 0.
Old 10-17-2004, 12:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Bringing this post back from the dead...still having a problem...

i FINALLY got around to finishing up the nitrous wiring today. I hooked the tuner up and set the RTD and window switch settings, but i left the N/A spark settings at 0.....the circuit works fine. when i arm the spray and hit the WOT switch i get the red LED to tell me the N2O secondary settings are working fine.

here's the problem. even with the nitrous settings set, if the spark base and spark WOT settings are on 0, the car will crank but won't start... i use the jumper plug and bypass the tuner, and it starts right up.

i then, re-connected the tuner and added one degree of base spark advance, and the car fired right up. why in the hell won't it kick over with the tuner plugged in if the spark base and WOT spark settings are on 0????

im sure i could probably have it run fine with an extra degree of N/A timing and just retard one more on the spray (just so it f**king starts with the tuner plugged in!), but that's not the point. PLEASE, can anyone shed some light on this???
Old 01-01-2005, 12:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

ive never had this problem.call ramchargers and get something figured out already.i never wouldve waited this long to call them and find out.
Old 01-27-2005, 07:08 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have just installed a timing tuner on my car and hooked it into the nitrous system. I'm having trouble setting the upper rpm limit for the nitrous. With the key off I set the rpm dial to 6 (6500), I set the spark base to 8 and then set the mode switches to off/off/off/on just as the instructions say. When I turn the key on the instructions say the red light will illuminate for 10 sec. Then both lights should Illuminate for 1 sec. to show it has reconfigured. My problem is that the red light doesn't come on for 10 seconds. Could I have it wired wrong? I haven't spayed any nitrous yet, the whole system is brand new, but the solenoids activate when the system is active and WOT. Please help.
Old 01-27-2005, 07:17 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Does the grey wire from the tuner go directly to ground, or does it go directly to the relay where the ground previously went? The instructions say to remove chassis ground from the relay and attach the grey wire.
Old 01-27-2005, 07:55 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Default Timing Tuner-HELP!

I just read in the instructions that the red and green light would flash if it was hooked up wrong, so I must have it right. Now, if I activate the WOT switch outside without the engine running, the red light comes on to show its working and the solenoids activate, but the only stay on for about 2 seconds.???? I still cant make the rpm limit work either.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 5LTREATR
I just read in the instructions that the red and green light would flash if it was hooked up wrong, so I must have it right. Now, if I activate the WOT switch outside without the engine running, the red light comes on to show its working and the solenoids activate, but the only stay on for about 2 seconds.???? I still cant make the rpm limit work either.

make sure you have the microswitches pushed ALL THE WAY...i had the same problem when trying to set my upper RPM. the #4 switch looked like it was all the way up but i moved it with the tip of an awl and it went a little further.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:41 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I tried pushing up on it while my friend turned the switch on, to make sure it was engaged. I think it may be working, but the red light definately doesn't come on for 10 seconds like the instructions say. When I cut the ignition switch on, the red light lights up for about 2 seconds, then the green comes on while the red is still on, then they both go out. After I recalibrate my other settings, when I cut the swich on both lights come on at the same time and go out at the same time. Maybe it is working, but not for 10 seconds. I just don't want to take any chances on spraying through a shift because the red light didn't stay on for 10 seconds!
Old 01-27-2005, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I tried pushing up on it while my friend turned the switch on, to make sure it was engaged. I think it may be working, but the red light definately doesn't come on for 10 seconds like the instructions say. When I cut the ignition switch on, the red light lights up for about 2 seconds, then the green comes on while the red is still on, then they both go out. After I recalibrate my other settings, when I cut the swich on both lights come on at the same time and go out at the same time. Maybe it is working, but not for 10 seconds. I just don't want to take any chances on spraying through a shift because the red light didn't stay on for 10 seconds!
hmmm....i dunno what to say about that one. from what i've seen, a handful of these things are giving people problems while a bunch of others seem to love them.
Old 01-28-2005, 01:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

I had the same problem, they wouldn't illuminate for 10 seconds only for 1 just like you claim. I just set it up like it did and it worked fine.

I have just installed a timing tuner on my car and hooked it into the nitrous system. I'm having trouble setting the upper rpm limit for the nitrous. With the key off I set the rpm dial to 6 (6500), I set the spark base to 8 and then set the mode switches to off/off/off/on just as the instructions say. When I turn the key on the instructions say the red light will illuminate for 10 sec. Then both lights should Illuminate for 1 sec. to show it has reconfigured. My problem is that the red light doesn't come on for 10 seconds. Could I have it wired wrong? I haven't spayed any nitrous yet, the whole system is brand new, but the solenoids activate when the system is active and WOT. Please help.
Old 01-28-2005, 05:49 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Thanks for your help guys. I guess I will just see how it does. Is there anyway I could check to see that the nitrous is shuting off at 6500 before I make a pass at the track, other than running it on a dyno?
Old 01-28-2005, 06:23 PM
Launching!

Mine worked fine and I love it. Anyways why don't you just set it at a very small window 3.5k-5.8K and make a run down your street. That's the safest way, if it goes over 6K and your still spraying something is wrong.