PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

13.8 AF @WOT way too hot Adjust with Predator?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2004, 05:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 13.8 AF @WOT way too hot Adjust with Predator?

I think that I finally traced my overheating problem to the A/F ratio at wide open throttle. 13.8 A/F

Mods on the '00: LG radiator/oil cooler, 160 Stat, fans on at ~170, FTRA, TR220 cam, Mufflex off road pipes, magnaflow muffler.

The autometer water temp guage pegged out at one point and I had to cool the car down at my last open track event. The temp sender is on the block above the starter and typically reads higher then average.

I've got predator (waiting for HPtuners when 1.5 comes out) and tried adjusting WOT fuel without much luck. Added 2% and A/F dropped to 13.2 for about a day. However, its gone back up again.

I am shooting for 12.5 A/F, does this sound right?
Does predator really work for adjusting WOT fuel or am I running out of injector/pump? this is an '00 with the low injectors.

Any advice, thanks.
Old 09-26-2004, 06:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by SSpeedracer
Does predator really work for adjusting WOT fuel or am I running out of injector/pump? this is an '00 with the low injectors.
You shouldn't be running out of injector/pump with just those mods unless it's a bad part or something.
Old 09-26-2004, 07:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

How do your LTrims look (ideal is 0 or slightly negative at cruising ~50mph)? Did you get a custom tune for your mods?
Old 09-26-2004, 07:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks

Rmclean, I disconnected the battery when I installed the A/F meter, so the trims all reset. I'll check them again, but they were running 0 and -1.5 and still settling. No custom tune. I will do it myself shortly. Maybe sooner than I planned.

Future, I too would be surprised if I'm running out of fuel. Car dynoed 333HP before the cam and I doubt its running more than 350 now. I have seen A/F go in the 12s for a moment (initial WOT) and only at low RPMs <3000. So it seems like the computer is shooting for lower A/F initially, but by 4000 RPMS it gives up. Also, I checked the throttle body, its at 100% just before the pedal is fully depressed.

Is there a chance it could go closed loop (14.69) even with the throttle at 100%?
Old 09-28-2004, 09:03 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

13.8 is not a closed loop number, though it is pretty
whacked for WOT. If you see an AFR rise, bad, with
RPM this is possibly a fuel delivery problem (filter,
pump, even wiring/relay). If all you have is the
real-time Predator display you might want to have
a ride-along call out the numbers as they move so
you can get a feel for the profile. Highway pulls in 3rd
are good for this. Predator PE has a limited range but
you might as well exercise it.