Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

water GRENADING out of radiator..

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 08:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default water GRENADING out of radiator..

dammit, my car has issues..i just put the new motor in it along with freshly rebuilt heads..the first go around i used cometic gaskets..after starting my car up and it got good and hot coolant started Spewing out the radiator neck,,i had the cap off bc i was burping the system..well after some research i discovered that the cometics were prone to leaking on the 98 style heads..SOOO i went and bought some stockers and put them on..just fired it up and the same thing happened..i mean i dont get it...the thermostat opened and it was going all good..the coolant was flowing and everything, i was adding coolant as it went down..and then its like it just got hot and started spewing water eveywhere,, i mean spewing as in the coolant was shooting on my windshield and all over the damn place..it was like the water pump was pumping it straight out of the radiator.. could my thermostat be sticking and doing this? i mean it opens up and you can see the water start to flow and then after about 2 minutes booooooooommmm, its lock a foking volcano..no way the heads are cracked as i just had them refinished and the block is straight..any sugesstions?
matt
Old 09-28-2004, 10:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

i just swapped thermostats and it doesnt seem to be opening, the hose going to the thermostat to the radiator is cold and my heater is not hot..think its the water pump? it was workingt like a champ before i swapped it to the new motor????? is there a way to check to see if the pump is pumping, kind of hard to take the thermostat out..
Old 09-28-2004, 02:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to jack the front of the car up high and fill the radiator. I had the same problems with the car level. Apparently the 98 heads trap air more so than other years.
Old 09-28-2004, 02:44 PM
8 Second Club

Yes, and pull the coolant crossover tube loose while filling until you see coolant come out then tighten. You have air pockets in the heads and it's overheating before the t-stat can open.
Old 09-28-2004, 06:30 PM
TECH Addict

When you get air trapped in the system it creates steam and a lot of pressure. Don't get nervous, just bleed the air out, take your time, it will be fine.