PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No live mapping?

Old 09-28-2004, 08:39 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No live mapping?

Ok you lot, lots of questions now!. After looking at LS1 tech for 3/4 months now i`m still confused about a couple of things. Why can`t any PCM programmer(LS1 edit/Hp Tuners etc) do "live" mapping?. Why do you have to copy files, save them to a bin file(whatever that is)and then reload them back onto the PCM, drive around for a while as the computer "learns" the new tune? With most of the manufacturers engine management systems as well as all of the aftermarket systems here in the UK(DTA, Emerald, Gems etc) you alter the timing/air-fuel on the keyboard and the engine responds there and then to those changes. Am i correct in saying that doesn`t happen with any of the LS1 systems? The reason I ask is that having put an LS1 into my Capri, no UK based company seem interested in using their management system on it so I`ve had the PCM recalibrated by Injection Specialties over their in USA. Is the PCM you guys use that complicated and advanced that "live" mapping and the use of other non USA management systems is out of the question. I`m soon going to ship over the HP tuners software but do I get the wideband version when available? Again, wideband tuning with European systems is relatively common/easy. Why not with the LS1?? Any answers would help me understand any future purchases......Thanks
Old 09-28-2004, 08:52 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

EFILive V6 permits forcing spark and fuel maps but
this is only by using a temporary image of some sort,
it does not "stick", and there is some concern about
it being too slow to use at the 'strip. The GM PCM
can only be talked to via the OBDII bus and the
tuner programs write the whole image, program and
code, taking 28 seconds (or more) to do it at full bus
bandwidth. A direct connection and a more surgical
table write would both be just swell. But as yet not
seen....