Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 -vs LS6 block....

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 05:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LS1 -vs LS6 block....

What is the advantage of the LS6 block -vs- the LS1 block? Searching this site returns several posts where engine builders say that the LS1 block is stronger than the LS6, if that is the case, why do so many prefer the LS6 block to the LS1? Is it because they think an LS6 block sounds better than an LS1 block, or is it that the LS6 block is the "Z06 block"? Or, is the LS6 block, in fact, stronger than the LS1 after all? Thanks, Shawn
Old 09-28-2004, 10:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the only differance is the LS6 block has some openings for better internal breathing between the bays in the block, therefor making it a little weaker. I've seen pictures of it somewhere on here. I think it was from JRP
Old 09-29-2004, 01:58 AM
TECH Resident

I think it is because when GM introduced it, they presented it as new and improved. And since the new motor made more power the block must have had something to do with it. Personally I always thought it sounded a lot like the improved cooling heads of the early 80's. Gm found a way to produce something cheaper and using less material, but introduced it as an improvement (those heads were junk by the way). The cast in windows in the bulkheads would require less machine work because the holes would not have to be machined, in addition they would use less aluminum in the casting process. As far as the windage or breathing goes, everytime a piston comes down and displaces air the piston on the opposite bank goes up and draws air so you should have very little pressure trying to migrate between the bulkheads. In fact all you should have would be excess blowby that leaked past the rings. The funny part about this is I suggested this as a mere possibility numerous years ago, and was told how stupid I was.
Old 09-29-2004, 05:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

LS1 is a stronger block. LS6 makes NO more hp.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....86&postcount=8
Old 09-29-2004, 05:51 AM
10 Second Club + 14 Second Truck Club

i just talked to Steve @ Race Engine and he told me to send in my ls1 block to be sleeved instead of using a ls6 block. that being said i would think the ls1 block would be stronger.
Old 09-29-2004, 04:01 PM
On The Tree

Personally I think just to say you have an Ls6 block is superficial, and you should use what you think is the best for your application and your wallet. With that said both blocks are good and most likely will not have a problem. If you have an Ls1 block use it, if you have an Ls6 block use that, but don't spend the money just for the sake of saying you have an ls6 block.